Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Benjamin Dhong's Classical Christmas




Many of you may remember that fabulous bathroom that San Francisco designer Benjamin Dhong decorated for the San Francisco Decorator's Showhouse. Well, I knew this man was talented and clever, but I didn't realize the extent of his creativity. Just look at this fabulous wreath that Ben designed for the holidays!

Ben was inspired by some old architectural engravings that he had found, so he scanned them, arranged them, and then had them printed on linen. He took the fabric and glued it to a 20' foam square donut. Genius!

The front of the wreath is the acanthus ornament of a Corinthian column while the sides have classic architectural motifs such as egg and dart. Ben joked that "decoupage is back". Well if this is decoupage for the 21st century, then count me in as its #1 fan!

(To see more of Ben's work, please visit his website.)






Images courtesy of David Duncan Livingston, photographer.

11 comments:

  1. Really stunning - I want to make it a mirror.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's fantastic! I am totally into decoupage these days. This is one of the most unusual examples I've seen!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE this idea. I am toying with the idea of making a square wreath with some of the magnolia I got this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. jennifer: i just spent a few moments @ benjamin dhong's website. wow. i love the way he fuses art into his interiors. l love how absolute his choices feel! thank you again for introducing me to another amazing talent : ) -p.p.

    ps mrs. blandings is so right. a mirror would be gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. One could do this with an old giltwood mirror frame as well, the more battered the better.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know I love these colors!
    xo xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the mirror idea!

    Fab Ben, just fab.

    ReplyDelete
  8. really stunning - how beautiful would that look at every window? ok - I'm off to his web site!!! Thanks for the tip.

    JOni

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love both Joni and Mrs. Blanding's idea of either a mirror or replicating it in every window in the house! Perhaps a whole wall of mirrors framed in it? Marvelous!! I NEED one!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful and clever, and incorporating those wonderful neoclassical elements. What could be more perfect?

    ReplyDelete
  11. cool! reminds me of the timney fowler prints the early 1980s.

    ReplyDelete