Monday, September 08, 2014

Hercule Poirot and The Labours of Hercules


I've been savoring the final episodes of Poirot via Acorn TV, and there was one episode that I found especially appealing.  In "The Labours of Hercules", the opening scene depicts an elegant soirée that takes place in an equally elegant London residence.  What struck me about this scene- in addition to the murderous intrigue that was starting to percolate, of course- were the decorative details.  There was Chinese wallpaper, damask-covered walls, a chaise percée, and some terrific-looking red silk lampshades.  Basically, everything that one might expect to find in a well-appointed London residence during the 1930s.

Now that Poirot has ended and while I wait for the long-anticipated season three of Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries, I need to find another mystery series to help pass the time.  I love murder and intrigue, but I like to take it with a heavy dose of glamour.  Any recommendations?   












10 comments:

  1. Partners in Crime with Tommy and Tuppence. Look past the lighting and filmed-on-tape atmosphere and enjoy the costumes and props.
    It's Agatha Christie having fun. Of course there's The Thin Man with Myrna Loy and William Powell. Wonderful to see on the silver screen, as meant to be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pamela, I believe that Acorn is currently showing Partners in Crime. I will definitely take a look.

      I adore The Thin Man series!

      Delete
  2. Jennifer I adore Hercule and will miss him tremendously. Now I use Netflix and they have not even released Season II of Miss Fisher, which I also loved. Acorn Tv? I will have to check into it.Again, scrumptious settings!

    xoxo
    Karena
    The Arts by Karena

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karena, Acorn has both Season 1 and 2 of Miss Fisher available. Season 2 is terrific!

      Delete
  3. Anonymous12:05 PM

    Jennifer, Have you watched Nero Wolfe? Adapted from the Rex Stout's series, it's a period mystery set in 1950s NY with an ensemble cast. All except the leads play different characters each episode, and Wolfe's fantastic brownstone features prominently. It's a fun watch.
    Margaret

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, I have never watched Nero Wolfe, but shall do so upon your recommendation. Sounds right up my alley! Thank you!

      Delete
  4. Little Red9:58 PM

    I'm currently obsessed with Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries and seeing all those beautiful clothes, jewels, and interiors is giving me a serious itch to completely renovate my condo top to bottom along with my life. I love Poirot for all the gorgeous Art Deco interiors.

    As for another series, how about "Breathless"? Set in early 60s London and centers around a group of doctors and nurses in a gynecology ward.

    And for those not aware, Acorn TV is an embarrassment of riches when it comes to British television shows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Little Red, I'm obsessed with Miss Fisher too, so much so that I signed the change.org petition for season 2. Acorn TV is fabulous! I'm surprised that more people don't know about it.

      Delete
    2. Sorry. Make that Season 3!

      Delete
    3. Little Red8:17 PM

      I signed that petition too. That's when I knew I had it bad.

      Delete