Monday, June 20, 2011

Big Style in a Small-ish Space





I'm really distracted this week by an interesting project, one that requires my time and focus. I suppose that is my feeble explanation for why some of my posts this week will be light on text, heavy on the photos.

So let's kick off the week with photos of designer Robert Passal's Gramercy Park apartment which appeared in the Spring issue of Luxe magazine. For those of us who live in apartments, the challenge seems to be creating plenty of seating, finding a place for dining, and carving out space for storage, all in the confines of a small space. (By the way, when I use the word apartment, I mean apartments and condos. I just don't like the word condo, for whatever reason.) I think that Robert made great use of every inch of his home's space, and yet the overall feel seems anything but cramped. What I think you can take away from these photos is that living in an apartment requires strict editing. And that, my friends, is something that I have learned all too well living in my own condo. I mean, apartment.





















All images from Luxe, Spring 2011, Joshua McHugh photographer

8 comments:

  1. Lovet his apartment, he seemed to introduce just about every style and period, but it still works.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Capella. Love the eclectic style, although that apartment looks positively palatial next to where my girls live in the city. But, they are kids, not grown-ups.
    Best,
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  3. The screen if front of a busy bookcase/work area, if that is what it is, is a great idea when a working area needs to become an entertainment area for a few hours.

    In space-challenged New York city apartments, residents have become adept at the "Chinese Checkers" game of moving items about to suit the various and ever-changing needs of their space.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic! The chair with the saw fish back is tres interesting.
    Thanks Jennifer,
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  5. I tore this out to put in my files this week - classic. (Luck on the project.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this! I just posted yesterday about using a Lucite coffee table in a small-ish space with books stacked beneath. It echoes the mirrored coffee table above. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Its really beautiful. I liked it very much.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the pops of leopard - fun, yet refined. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete