Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Ye Olde Southern Style


I'm back.  I've been touring the South over the last few weeks, lecturing in such cities as Birmingham, Memphis, Greenville, and Dallas.  Each of these cities has its own unique style, but what they all have in common is a friendliness and ease that make visiting these cities a real pleasure.  It's also confirmation that, thankfully, our region's famed Southern hospitality is alive and well.

Something else that I discovered on my journeys is that the old Southern appreciation for color and pattern isn't entirely dead.  For a few years now, I have written about how the saturated and, at times, bright colors that marked my Atlanta childhood have fallen out of favor, with neutral tones and soft, pale colors now mostly defining Southern decor.  This isn't a local phenomenon, because I think the same thing has happened throughout much of the country.  But what does surprise me is how little color is being used in the South, especially considering our region's light.  We have the benefit of bright, warm light, which makes corals, yellows, bright blues, and acid greens, for example, look really smashing.  (Our typically sunny light is also the reason why some of those moody Belgian colors have never looked entirely comfortable in the South- at least, that's the way I see it.)  I certainly understand the appeal of neutrals, and some of my favorite homes are those which are decorated in rich, warm tones of caramel, camel, and brown.  I only wish that more people in the South would take advantage of our light and indulge in a little colorful decor.

It seems that I'm not alone, because over the last month, I have heard a number of Southerners express similar sentiments, and not due to any prompting on my part, either.  And after visiting a number of Southern homes during my trips, I can say that there are others who, like me, never forgot our colorful design roots.  Color and pattern may not be as prevalent south of the Mason-Dixon line as it once was, but it's not non-existent, and that's something in which I take comfort.

And now, for a little taste of how some Southerners used to decorate, I give you a few photos of Southern interiors from the 1970s and 80s.  Yes, a lot of the decor is dated, but look past it.  I chose these particular rooms for either their vivid colors or the great printed fabrics that seasoned them.  Looking at these photos decades after they were taken, I'd say that a lot of these fabrics, and many of these colors, haven't aged a bit.









 

27 comments:

  1. Jennifer I look at these images and see so much classicism...look at that blue sun room floor and those fabulous lampshades

    xoxo
    Karena
    The Arts by Karena

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karena! The blue sunroom is truly fabulous.

      Delete
  2. I see Gordon Little is represented here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh thank you, Jennifer. Aaaahhh, I can breathe again, after being greiged to DEATH with today's neutral (read boring) colours. Luckily, it's just a phase and everyone will eventually come to their senses and embrace colour again. Thanks for the infusion!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cynthia, Nice to know that you're a fellow color-lover. :)

      I believe that the pendulum is starting to swing back towards the direction of color. At least, I hope so.

      Delete
  4. All of these rooms are lovely. If we were to take out the last room's wall-to-wall carpet and replace it with a sea grass or sisal every designer under 40 would be "all over it".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, Excellent point. I'm glad you could see past that wall-to-wall carpet and see the timelessness of this room!

      Delete
  5. Please, bring back color--all of the wonderful colors that give life and warmth and depth to rooms. Thanks for this ray of hope. Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary, I agree. Color can breathe such life into a room!

      Delete
  6. I love your cooking reference here, " I chose these particular rooms for either their vivid colors or the great printed fabrics that seasoned them" - so apropos to any well rounded composition, be it room or plate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you stated it better than I did! Seasoning is important to a well-rounded composition.

      Delete
  7. "Give me no gravy" - still true for me. I love these rooms, and I'm saving the first room in my inspiration file for my next home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Give me no gravy"...what would we have done without Dorothy Draper! The first room, by the way, is located in my apartment building. My family's former decorator designed it. :)

      Delete
  8. This look is so at home in Georgia. Only need to bring out the silver service tea set.
    If I only have one life to live I don't want it in beige and gray!
    Prints bring so much life to any room and I find that reading this blog is so encouraging.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Connie, Oh yes, we need to bring back (or at least, keep alive) the silver tea set! I miss seeing those too.

      Delete
  9. I'm a fan of keeping color in the south!! Hope your travels were great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laura, You certainly know how to decorate with color. I love the way you use vibrant fabrics and colors!

      Delete
  10. Anonymous1:25 PM

    Look at that fabulous Plaza Towers living room!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, and I wish that my Plaza Towers living room looked just like that top photo!

      Delete
  11. Anonymous6:35 PM

    These rooms are truly elegant and remain timeless.......... I am SO OVER seagrass and sisal!!! I think decorator's today seem obsessed with it, and because it has been so overly done, to me it is now "out of fashion." Muted oushak's are much more elegant than sisal, to "tone down a room." Great photos Jennifer, especially the second from the top, I love that look of contemporary art with beautiful antiques.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jennifer, we loved having you visit Memphis. Certainly the light has a lot to do with it, but it also takes a keen eye and judicious hand to successfully pull off a neutral look. If there isn't a play of textures, a pleasing arrangement of shapes, and/or architectural detailing, the results are just blah.

    ReplyDelete
  13. DITTO! What would the Prince of Chintz say ?

    Dean

    ReplyDelete
  14. I couldn't have said it better. Remember that old Clairol commercial? The one that said, "If I've only one life, let me live it as a blonde!" I feel that way about color. Soon enough it will all be over, and I for one prefer to live with exuberance and color and pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Welcome home to where the people are friendly and we live in colouring books. At least some of us do. When little trick or treaters say "I love your house" it's the colors they see. Neutral beige never fit my personality. In with the old. Make it colorful.

    ReplyDelete
  16. My grandparents have always collected gorgeous antiques. Those items have followed them from Williamsburg to Kansas (Korean War detour!), Charlotte to Coral Gables and back to Virginia now. They include bright citrine velvet club chairs, cherry red sofa, bright blue china and coordinating furnishings, and bold shamrock green. But, they mellow out with the wood antiques and balance them out with cheerful wallpapers and curtains. It really is gorgeous and has moved from home to home with ease - regardless of layout and arrangement!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great images!! Love the color contrasts and use of patterns. I'm obsessed with floral patterns :)

    ReplyDelete