Friday, August 31, 2012

Pleased as Punch





When was the last time you attended a party where punch was served? Today, it seems that most punch serving and imbibing occurs during Christmas when no holiday party is complete without a bowl of eggnog or milk punch. Traditionally, non-alcoholic punch was served at ladies' teas and showers. I recall on more than one occasion attending daytime parties where Lime Sherbet Punch was served. (Do you remember Lime Sherbet Punch? I bet many of you do.) To this day, I like the taste of that green-hued punch, although the frothy film that settled on top always bothered me.

I found these punch-y photos in a 1934 House Beautiful. Funny enough, the article's author wrote, "It's a long time since anyone has given a great deal of thought to punch. But now that the ingredients for those fine and mysterious concoctions are available again, there seems every reason why punch should regain its old popularity as a festive accompaniment to festive occasions." Ah, yes, that pesky Prohibition seemed to have put a damper on things. I do agree with the author's sentiments, though, that punch should once again regain its popularity. Next time you have friends over for cocktails, why not serve up some party punch in a great big bowl? No Hunch Punch, mind you, but something more mature. Perhaps Champagne Cup? I can't vouch for the taste of it, but based on the recipe below, I just can't imagine that it would taste anything less than delicious.



Champagne Cup

Use one quart of champagne, the cut-up peel of two oranges and two sliced lemons, a slice of cucumber peel, a jigger each of brandy and cointreau, a pint of club soda, a teaspoonful of sugar or more if desired. Place the peels of the oranges, lemons and cucumbers in bottom of punch-bowl. Over these pour the brandy and cointreau, then the champagne, and lastly the club soda. When mixed, place a large piece of ice in bowl and garnish top of ice with pieces of rock candy and a few slices of orange.

(The best part of the recipe is the suggested food accompaniments: Raisins chopped and mixed with sherry, spread between thin, diamond-shaped slices of white bread. Pâté de fois gras sandwiches, or small pastry shells filled with it. Small turnovers of pastry glazed with white of egg, without filling. Chopped lettuce, mixed with sour cream, a little sugar, lemon juice and salt- spread between thin slices of white bread or Boston brown bread. Sandwiches made with chopped sautéed mushrooms, canned shrimp, or crab meat, cut fine, mixed with cream sauce, on top of rounds of toast. Any kind of simple cookies, wafers, champagne Chantillys and cashew nuts.)



A red and white tablecloth sets the tone for a Claret punch party.




Swedish glögg served alongside oatmeal, rye and spice cookies, orange cake and almonds




A Victorian style table set with fringed fish net cloth. I don't suggest that you replicate this table.




Silver and glass accessories suggested for punch service.


29 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:14 AM

    A crucial point: instead of using a piece of ice that melts and waters down the punch, freeze a big block or pretty ring of the punch itself to use in the place of ice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great point and excellent idea! I also think that a frozen ring mold of punch floating on top would like pretty, too.

      Delete
    2. Thomas1:04 PM

      A ring mold with mint leaves and maraschino cherries frozen in it

      Delete
  2. The punch sounds delicous but those hors d'oeuvre sound repulsive, no? Food is fashion afterall....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Both the raisin and lettuce sandwiches sound unappetizing. I think that I could stomach the sauteed mushroom and cream canape. At least, I think I could!

      Delete
  3. And don't forget Sangria (white or red). This Spanish alcoholic wine (and brandy) punch is great for summer evenings. Great post.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't believe that I forgot to mention Sangria, especially considering how delicious it is!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thomas1:02 PM

    The moment I read the words Lime Sherbet punch, I had a vision of the icky foam on top- before I even read the next sentence- I remember canapes' from my Mom's parties- a crustless slice of very soft white bread mashed flat with a rolling pin and wrapped around a stalk of canned asparagus

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it amazing all of the different dishes that were once made using canned asparagus?!

      Delete
  6. Pamela1:03 PM

    I attended a lecture on the history of punch; 'Punch at Home in the 1800s - A talk and tasting served up by Elizabeth Gabay.' It was held in Sir John Soane's glorious museum, London.

    It is the story of Britain's empire, from India to the New World. All those wonderfully exotic ingredients: lemons, limes, rum, spices, tea...

    The rich drank from silver and fine porcelain, whilst the poor used cheap bowls.

    Politics, science, commerce, you name it. All things were discussed over punch. Families drank it to celebrate harvests, marriages, and holidays.

    From punch evolved the individual cocktail. Yum.

    Growing up in Houston, my parents referred to the lime sherbert punch as 'Baptist punch.' It was delicious at the time.

    For those who have not had Pimm's, give it a try. I use lots of fresh mint leaves and cucumber. Some people like to add oranges and strawberries.

    We should all treat ourselves to some punch, whether it be alcoholic or non.




    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pamela, That sounds like such an interesting lecture! I do love Pimm's and have a bottle of it on my cart. I should make a Pimm's cup this weekend- almost like punch for one!

      Delete
  7. ME! I had punch at a party a few weeks ago! We were celebrating the opening of the Olympic Games, and I made Southside Punch.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Way to go, Meg! I'm assuming Southside Punch is the same thing as a Southside cocktail? I love a Southside.

      Delete
    2. It is, indeed! We make the cheater's version: half a can of lemonade concentrate and half of lime. mix at about 1/2 ratio, add a couple of sprigs of mint and give them a twist to release the oils. chill. when ready to serve add the lemon/lime, 1/3 of club soda and 1/3 of rum or gin. your choice. garnish with mint sprig. drink. beware.. they go down verrrry easy!

      Delete
    3. Gosh, that sounds delish!

      Delete
  8. Thomas5:22 PM

    The Picayune's Creole Cook Book is a source for the wildest selection of punches, cups, infusions, cordials, ratafias and on and fascinating recipes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thomas, sounds like I need to get a copy of that cookbook!

      Delete
  9. Pamela2:42 PM

    Pimm's. It IS almost like having punch for one. Enjoy! I too want to get a copy of Picayne's Creole Cook Book.

    What is Southside punch?

    LOVE this community you've created.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pamela, Thanks so much for the nice comment! I searched Amazon for old copies of the Picayune cook book, and it looks like there are many different editions. I think that I may buy one of the older editions.

      A Southside is a cocktail that was created during the 1920s, I believe. It's made of gin, lemon juice, sugar, and mint. It's delicious! I don't have a recipe, but I believe that you can find different versions on the internet.

      Delete
    2. Pamela8:21 AM

      You're welcome. Gin in a Southside? I love it already. Thank you for sharing your research results via Amazon.

      Delete
  10. There are some great ideas here! It definitely puts me in the spirit to throw a party and have all of my favorite table toppers! Great post!

    Love, Jamie Herzlinger

    ReplyDelete
  11. Loving this post! Punch is so fun and festive. I think it's most regularly served at baby and bridal showers here in Texas.

    ReplyDelete
  12. maven1:10 PM

    Love this post! That lime sherbert punch was a signature drink for formal receptions at my Kappa Delta house when I was in college. Kappa Delta colors are green and white, so it was perfect. Hey! I kind of liked the foam! (For those who don't know, it is formed by pouring sprite/7up over lime sherbert and pineapple juice. The foam is similar to that found on a rootbeer float.)

    Speaking of signature drinks... wouldn't it be fun to have a weekly open-house Sunday brunch where one served a different spiked punch at each occasion? I think that I will get right on that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that idea, maven! I think you should go for it. Wish I could attend!

      Delete
  13. Sorry Peak of Chic, have been meaning to comment on this, but bogged down with work. At Christmas, we normally serve up a traditional Mulled Cider, which I think is preferable to Mulled Wine. But love the idea of a non-Christmas punch. The Champagne Cup sounds decadent: with the Cognac and Cointreau...crikey! Wouldn't some sort of beef bouillon thing be good, maybe laced with vodka or Cognac, and ladelled out of a silver tureen?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luke, Mulled Cider sounds delicious, and I bet it smells wonderful too. I think your idea of a beef bouillon based punch is something with which you should experiment. If you mixed it with vodka, it would be a Bull-Shot Punch, wouldn't it? Sounds like a good way to start lunch, perhaps served in a demi-tasse.

      Delete
  14. Exactly. Do you know about "Pot a Jus"? Otherwise, mistakenly known as "Custard Cups". Porcelain cups with saucers used in the 18th century to serve bouillon. Worth looking out for, as they are often wrongly catalogued. I like the idea of a delicate , light bouillon- maybe even vegetarian- laced with armagnac...watch this space!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see a bouillon related post happening very soon on The Greasy Spoon!

      Delete
  15. Thomas2:03 PM

    The Picayune cookbook was originally copyrighted in 1901-My copy is a 1947 printing- I think it is reprinted without revisions as a "historical"document- look for the original copyright - the printing shouldn't matter- it even has recipes for endangered Plover-

    ReplyDelete