Friday, August 10, 2012

Loulou de la Falaise's Work Chic





I've always admired the style of the late Loulou de la Falaise, muse and friend to Yves Saint Laurent. Certainly she was not a beauty, but that's beside the point. She had a bohemian flair that was tempered by classic French chic. Like so many fashionable women, she wore a lot of black. Accessories like bold jewelry were an important component to her outfits, something that gave her simple yet tailored clothes added panache.

The photos of de la Falaise seen here were taken from David Teboul's
Yves Saint Laurent 5, avenue Marceau, 75116 Paris , France, about which I wrote on Wednesday. Taken over a few months, they show Saint Laurent, de la Falaise, and the rest of the team hard at work on the designer's final Spring 2002 collection. De la Falaise's clothes look like those we might wear for work and could even be described as "dressy casual", a term that I'm not crazy about though it is an apt description. She seemed to favor black pants, silk blouses, and black sweaters, suggesting that her closet was full of separates rather than suits and dresses. But you know, I think it was ultimately her je ne sais quoi that helped to elevate her work wardrobe into something far chicer than mine!





























7 comments:

  1. LOVE her! Chic on top of chic on top of chic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not a beauty? I think she's stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do think she's stunning, too. I don't think she fits the mold of a classical beauty, something which makes her even more appealing to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous11:31 AM

    She was one of my style icons! Always so well put together. That's what made her beautiful.

    I've oredered the YSL film; think I have already seen it, but his style is timeless and worth another go.

    Somewhere in my size 10 waredrobe there are a few of his classic pants. I'd wear them today if they fit!! (they are over 30 years old)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandra, I think that it's the kind of documentary that one can watch over and over! Enjoy!

      And lucky you to have a few YSL pieces in your wardrobe!

      Delete
  5. Yes, a Beauty to be sure. I agree that the idea of beauty is limited-only in the minds of those that see it as perfection. I much prefer Loulou as the image alongside the definition. the best thing about YSL pieces-they can still be found at reasonable prices which amazes me. I always loved to tune in to see her on one of the shopping channels-what a fish out of water-but she was truly charming! pgt

    ReplyDelete