Thursday, July 07, 2011

This One's For Choppy




I could write post after post about how much I respect the work of Markham Roberts. In fact, I have written about him numerous times in the past. His sense of color, the way he blends the old and the new, his understanding of comfort and suitability...well, like I said, I could go on and on. But this post isn't really about Markham. Rather, let's focus on Choppy, Markham's poodle. You know Choppy. She has made quite a few appearances in photographs of Markham's projects. Choppy seems to prefer being perched on a settee, usually one located in an entrance hall. (Perhaps she's very social and likes to await guests.) That is, of course, unless she's photographed with Daddy Markham, in which case she relaxes in her father's lap. Choppy is obviously an engaged and engaging dog, oftentimes locking eyes with the camera. Whether a treat is being dangled behind the photographer, I do not know. In one shot, Choppy appears to be looking out a window, giving us a look at his striking profile. Choppy is one subject who doesn't seem to have a bad angle- much like the work of her father.




House Beautiful, May 2011, Thomas Loof photgrapher.




House Beautiful, November 2009, Christopher Baker photographer.



House Beautiful, October 2008, Francesco Lagnese photographer.


Image at top: Domino, Dec/Jan 2009, Paul Costello photographer.

8 comments:

  1. ADORE Markham Roberts - and Choppy's pretty darn cute as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Q- I agree. Markham is one of the best designers out there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Markham Roberts--classic, relevant, edgy, always wonderful. As for Chappy: multiply his size by a factor of 9 and you have Jones--same blue color with attitude. Have a wonderful day with your diva. Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. How cute - I love his little face in all the pix - lucky owner...or lucky dog??!!! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous11:07 AM

    I've had the pleasure of meeting Choppy in person and can say that she is wonderfully well mannered and in even better looking in person

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous11:12 AM

    I've had the pleasure of meeting Choppy in person and can say that she is amazingly well mannered and even better looking in person

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anon- I just changed the post to reflect that Choppy is a girl, not a boy. My huge mistake! You can tell she minds her manners based on the way she poses in the photos!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I adore his designs. Very eclectic. The colors add nuanced drama to the setting.

    ReplyDelete