Friday, February 04, 2011

Fresh from Fromental







Leave it to Fromental to consistenly produce wallpaper that I just have to have. (And if I had more space in my home, I wouldn't have to resort to simply dreaming about the paper!) What first got me hooked was their stunning hand-painted silk Chinoiserie paper. Their rich colorways (check out Empire and Bubblegum Blue) and embroidered details make traditional Chinese paper seem exciting again. And I never knew that I liked monkeys until I saw their Singerie and Swinging Monkeys patterns. I'd love to use the latter in a closet or niche that has been converted to a bar.

So what's the latest Fromental innovation that has captured my fancy? This hand-embroidered Italian velvet wallpaper, above, that was introduced at last year's Decorex. Named Berard, the faux-paneled design was inspired by the work of artist Christian Bérard.

I'm so intrigued by the fact that the faux painted design is embroidered, and embroidered on velvet no less. It's so unexpected, and yet, that is exactly what I would expect from Fromental.




In this 1939 photo of the Institut Guerlain in Paris, you can see the inspiration behind Fromental's print. At the behest of Jean-Michel Frank, Christian Bérard painted trompe l'oeil architecture on yellow fabric.






Although these stage sets were not designed by Bérard, they reminded me of his work. Designed by Jean Hugo in 1925 for Jean Cocteau's play Orphee, the painted architectural features have a similar feel to the Fromental paper.


Fromental photos courtesy of the company. Guerlain photo from Jean-Michel Frank: The Strange and Subtle Luxury of the Parisian Haute-Monde in the Art Deco Period by Pierre-Emmanuel Martin-Vivier; Hugo photo from Chanel by Jean Leymarie.

18 comments:

  1. I have long been entranced by Berard's almost whimsical take on boiserie, and have even considered painting a version for own enjoyment. But embroidered on velvet? Somehow the fresh free spirit seems to be lost. But I will refrain from judgement until I might think of a use in an installation other than just a background. I am excited to see the introduction, however. Thanks, Jennifer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bérard didn't paint anything at Guerlain. The Guerlain walls, which I have seen in person and which are still in existence, were executed entirely in fabric appliqués by Margarita Classen-Smith, a well-known textile artist and restorer. The "painted" lines are actually grosgrain ribbons, et cetera, cut to look like brushstrokes and then hand-sewn by Classen-Smith to the yellow ground fabric. It's all fabric, no paint at all. An early issue of "Nest" magazine featured a large article about the restoration of this Frank-Bérard-Classen-Smith project.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The wallpaper is amazing but "grosgrain ribbons cut to look like brushstrokes"? That will be bouncing around in my head all day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The depth that the velvet gives must be something to see. And I loved the Swinging Monkeys--straight out of Prada's Spring line!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous9:40 AM

    Trompe l'oeil is so much fun. I'm still loving the trompe l'oeil panel from Two Girls From Avignon that I originally saw on your blog.

    Lisa Hunter

    ReplyDelete
  6. Their work is without compare. Truly the intersection of art and decor. Not only are the products spectacular but the room pictures on their site are incredible as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Jennifer, thank you for this entry! We are really flattered to have a whole page of your blog.
    As you know we follow it everyday!

    An Aesthete is indeed correct. The original was stitched Grosgrain on felt.

    I love the images of Orphée! what a joy to be on the same page as Cocteau!


    Lizzie

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've also always been a fan of fomental. I love this faux-panel concept. However, my absolute favorite part has to be the faux Rococo mirror and sconces. So clever.

    ReplyDelete
  9. They are truly breathtaking! thanks for the post+xxpeggybraswelldesign.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm speechless. Pure genius.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, the embroidery is amazing & adds such depth & texture. L U X E. (sigh) While Fromental is not in the budget, I'll just stick with the Ten-Buck-Sharpie-Décor.

    (If you’ve never seen the Sharpie-Décor, you’ll find it on the Lexington Herald site:
    http://www.heraldleaderphoto.com/2008/09/18/man-decorates-basement-with-10-worth-of-sharpie/ )

    ReplyDelete
  12. Stunning! The room photos on their website are amazing as well. I'm currently a design student and this was my first introduction to Fromental. For that, I say thank you. I've already researched where I can go see some of their work here in LA.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes yes yes! Amazing... thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Jennifer great coverage Fromental 's line gives a wonderful change of direction for wall decoration from the deGournay's ,Gracie ,Iksel and Zuber et cie. And as you have just fallen in love with Les Singes and your library is so extensive if you do not already own it you will love A la Cour des Singes by Sylvie Dannaud &Gertrude Dordot that I picked up in Paris a year ago . A fabulous color illustrated volume of all the great Les Singes wall paintings and murals it is charming and a must for designers libraries Lemeau Decorators Insider http;//decoratorsinsider.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. You have done it again! Totally brilliant!

    Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is what a blog should be....simply amazing post!

    ReplyDelete
  17. in love with that paper- thanks for bringing it our attention. alas, reading "silk embroidered on velvet" means it will never reside in *my* home, so i have to hope i have a client who will love it (and pay for it)!

    it really is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Jennifer,

    My interior design department chair, the late Stanley Barrows (Parsons, FIT) always said that these guys were all smoking opium and drinking absinthe all the time, no wonder they were so creative!

    Dean Farris, Naples

    ReplyDelete