Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Those Lost Horizon Doors




Remember when I posted about Lost Horizon, that 1930's film with those fabulous doors like this one, above? Right after I posted the article, my friend Ron van Empel, lighting designer extraordinaire, emailed me to say that he too saw Lost Horizon around the time that I did and was equally as fascinated with the doors. An amazing coincidence, really, since Ron lives in Leiden, Netherlands and doesn't have Turner Classics.

We started to discuss whether the "
Lost Horizon design" would work on the interior of his front door. His entryway was really fabulous as it was, what with the Thibaut Chinoiserie wallpaper and the Farrow & Ball Parma Blue doors. And then there was that fabulous pediment- very Van Nest Polglase- above the door. Really great stuff:


An obviously not so average "before" shot...

The first thing Ron did was to come up with a sketch drawn to scale in order to see how the Lost Horizon design might look on his doors. Now keep this in mind if you embark on a DIY project yourself. Sketches are very important, because you don't want to be in the middle of the project to find out that the whole thing is not going to work. Trust me; I'm speaking from experience.



One thing that was a bit confounding to Ron was how to deal with those central doorknobs. As you can see from the sketch, he made sure that the bottom Xs intersected directly over the knobs. He also included the bottom panel like that in the
Lost Horizon door.

At first, I assumed that Ron was going to upholster the door, but he had a much better idea. He decided to keep the doors as is and apply the design directly to the painted surface. And instead of using cording as was used in the movie, he chose to do a nailhead trim. Or something that looked like nailhead trim:




How clever is this? Ron bought wood pearl trim that mimicked the look of nailhead trim, and he simply silver-leafed it. (He used a gray base coat on it first.) Far more economical than the real stuff and much easier to apply. And, if Ron tires of the look, he can simply pop the trim from the door.

So how did it turn out? Take a look for yourself....








I'd say that Ron's experiment was a smashing success! If only he lived a little closer to Atlanta, then perhaps I too could have a Lost Horizon door.

(All images courtesy of Ron van Empel with the exception of the Lost Horizon still.)

40 comments:

  1. Love the nailheads as an alternative to the cording. Jennifer, you should do this! It's so Peak of Chic. Just stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous, it really adds so much to the doorway. I was surprised at how well it works. Good call.

    ReplyDelete
  3. JohnT9:41 AM

    There is a by-the-yard nail head trim that I do not like for furniture, but it would be effective for a do-it-yourself project such as this. See it and other inexpensive traditional nail heads at www.vandykes.com.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very handsome and better than the movie's doors, I think. I'd like to see more of that room too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oo lala! Love it, very 1940's Hollywood. Not for just your ordinary interior.

    ReplyDelete
  6. WONDERFUL! what a transformation! elegant and understated but very glamorous. The key does seem to be planning planning planning. Great post. Merci.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I need to watch Turner Classics more! It really is a perfect solution. The wood trim has a slightly smaller "bead" and is perfect with the scale of the doorknobs. I think it is a clever concept. Now looking to see where I can adapt this....hmmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! They are quite stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love them! So great to see the process.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So chic! Now when can we see the rest of the house?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very chic! I like it even better than the originals. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great post on the doors!!! For those interested in the film, I did a piece several weeks ago on the film and the exteriors on Cinema Style. Its such a wonderful film.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the doors! Do you know if those knobs are functional? And if so, do you know of any specific companies that make center knobs, or ones that can retrofit a regular knob so it can be used as a center knob? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. John T.'s comment is right-on...I think that you can find these strips from Van Dykes Restoration catalog. And they are really easy to apply. The van Empel doorway and surround is magnificent.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That Thibaut paper is going in my next house. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is so clever and looks unbelievable. Leave it to the Dutch! So inventive!
    GREAT post!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow! Perfection! The silver leaf matches his door hardware perfectly. What a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow - that door does not look do-it-yourself. Quite impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Those are the kind of projects that make me think I can do these things myself (sort of) and that Thibaut paper is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Anonymous3:51 PM

    WOW! It's perfection.

    His eye is perfect. One little bit out of alignment and the whole effect would be shattered. Bravo!
    LOVE that movie. Jane Wyatt as a Siren...Go Know!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Nothing short of amazing. And POC, how is your pagoda door coming along? I'm sure it will sizzle!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I loved the original and didn't think they could be improved on, but I was wrong! Great looking!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Absolutely fantastic! There is nothing better than a magic entrance.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow! That is stunning and the perfect compliment to the rest of the Entry. Very impressive!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. patricia Muske6:28 PM

    Ron is a genius! I have 26 of his lamps, and he did a

    major project on my house last year. These doors

    are a good example of his creativity and eye for

    perfection. Patricia in Houston

    ReplyDelete
  26. I think that this is officially one of the chicest most professional DIY projects I have ever seen. And I really need to get my hands on some of that "nailhead" trim, its fabulous. I love the blue, I love the wallpaper, I love the nailheads. Fab, Fab, Fab.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Utterly beautifully amazing. Jennifer! You could totally do that. I'd even help.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Anonymous7:54 AM

    The origanal doors looked so grim and institutional. Amazing how a little diy cleverly done transforms them into a chinoisery fantasy. Well done!

    Hermione Darling

    ReplyDelete
  29. I seriously have no words to desribe my reaction! I'll be thinking about them all day and hopefully remembering to breathe!!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Beautiful. The "Lost Horizon door" has now found a beautiful new setting and interpretation.
    He really knows what is "just enough" -- it complements the wallpaper and surrounding molding.
    Great blog.
    b

    ReplyDelete
  31. wow, the best post ever!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Wow! So glad you like Ron's doors as much as I. He's awfully clever...and handy too.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Genius from start to finish!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Amazing this door looks perfect in his room. What a Wow factor, love this idea.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Olga, Ron asked me to give you this information:

    "the center doorknobs are not functional...as in the do not turn and open doorlock....I use them to pull and push door open and shut.
    A very small inconspicuous round doorknob is placed where the lock sits near the center column, that I use to unlock door.

    I wish the big doorknob would actually open door and lock/unlock. Very hard to find that sort of hardware in Europe. ( Maybe French lock smiths will be able to create this. I am sure it is available somewhere in the States....try Guerin in NY, www.peguerin.com

    the big doorknobs I made myself out of bronze lamp parts from the collection. Silver leafed them and varnished a zillion times.

    Thanks for comment and goodluck with your own project."

    ReplyDelete
  36. Love this - what a clever and inexpensive way to add detail!

    ReplyDelete
  37. this is genius! such a clever add to the already beautiful look of this entryway.

    ReplyDelete
  38. I have actually spied that wood trim that mimics nail heads. What a clever alternative and the result is amazing. Such a gorgeous door/pediment/wallpaper. How fun to have a slice of movie history replicated in your home. Congrat's to Ron, he did a smashing job.

    ReplyDelete