Wednesday, April 08, 2009

In a Chinoiserie State of Mind



I certainly do not need any reminders that Chinoiserie is my favorite style. Still, I couldn't help but notice that it has been on my mind more often than usual. Just in the last week I've been thinking about these items:


My new black linen hand towels with a coral, Chinois monogram on them. I can't wait to use these at my next party. (Hand towels from Gramercy Fine Linen. This great linen shop is a block up the street from my home...meaning I will be getting into a lot of linen trouble.)


While flipping through a circa 1980 magazine, I found this old Tiffany ad. I wonder if they still produce this clock? If not, they really should.


I'm considering buying a copy of Cecil Beaton's Chinese Album, mainly for the dust jacket. And because what I just wrote makes me feel guilty, I will end up reading the book too.


And, I was checking out Charlotte Moss' "Virginia" AirEssence Diffuser. Why? Because her "Virginia" fragrance smells divine; I love the decanter with the Chinoiserie pagoda stopper on it; and, I think I'm the only person in the world who has not yet tried one of these stick diffuser systems!


Image at top: Dancing Figure Holding a Mask, part of a series designed by Jean-Baptiste Pillement, c. 1759. Image courtesy of The Getty.

11 comments:

  1. Love your towels Jennifer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your towels, WOW! So dramatic!
    Don't try the stick diffusers -stick with candles! They get sticky and attract dust like crazy - really disgusting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Stefan! And thanks for the advice on the diffuser too. I LOVE her Virginia candles. That is what I have been using.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also have a Chinoiserie problem - and I love the variety of selection here! Especially the hand towels (orange embroidery just makes it even better). Love the blog- added you to my blogroll. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chinoiserie truly is timeless. It reminds me in a way of a "fortune cookie" - always makes one take note and smile. Such chic hand towels!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous9:08 AM

    Love the hand towels and the clock. Would love to see your chairs covered in Scalamandre's Ping.

    Mary Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pshaw! I would totally buy that Cecil Beaton book for the dust jacket too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. those hand towels are beyond. Beyond.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A great nod to chinoiserie! Just need Tony Duquette's garden pagodas.

    ReplyDelete
  10. All very beautiful. If you're on a chinoiserie kick, check this out!
    http://www.fowlerlemaison.com/designs.html

    Christie

    ReplyDelete