Sunday, September 24, 2006

House & Garden Style -1936


I was recently looking through some vintage issues of House and Garden from 1936. I was struck by how modern and vibrant the rooms were, especially considering that they were designed 70 years ago! The above picture was from an ad for Armstrong Linoleum floors. Linoleum was then considered the height of chic. I love the Chinoiserie elements of the room- the Chinese red console and wall brackets, the Chinese Chippendale banister, the blanc de Chine porcelain figures, and the gold Pagoda mounted to the wall. And if that wasn't enough, the designer added a Greek key motif to the mix.


Check out another Armstrong ad below- I love the plaster palm fronds on the wall- very Elsie de Wolfe! And don't you think the white dining chairs with apple green satin upholstery is very au courant?


3 comments:

  1. Love the Chinoiserie! Amazing, and all for linoleum floors. Great eye.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous6:07 PM

    I was searching to find my home , a 1936 home, which was supposedly home of the year in House and Garden Magazine --loved these pics...and wondered if you could give me help on my search.
    Thanks

    ds.divadebmet@verizon.net

    ReplyDelete