Thursday, January 14, 2010

McMillen Plus



Did you see that great House Beautiful article last month about McMillen and their new venture, McMillen Plus? For those of you who didn't read it, the venerable decorating firm McMillen, that bastion of traditional design that many of us admire, has opened a new division, McMillen Plus, which is geared towards a younger clientele. A great idea, really, as many of us who grew up in traditional homes want the comfort and security of traditional design- but we want it served up with a healthy dose of the modern.

Yesterday, Vogue's website profiled "It Girl" Lilly Bunn Weekes, head designer of McMillen Plus. (That's Lilly at top with her daughter Grace. I'm loving that room...and her shoes.) In addition to Lilly, designers Christine Grace and Elizabeth Pyne round out the McMillen Plus team. The McMillen website is now up and running, and you can see many images of the firm's work. Plus' section only includes the images below, but based on these four small photos, I for one cannot wait to see more!

(You might remember Elizabeth Pyne's apartment from an H&G article a few years back; you can read my post about it here.)




(Image at top from Vogue.com; second image from McMillen's website)

12 comments:

  1. What great style! I love the upholstery fabric on the chair. Great venture for McMillen Plus as it is so true that younger clientele enjoy a twist of modern design in their interiors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The colored silhouettes caught my eye...love! Janell

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely idea, but does this mean than an older generation of designers is unable to provide the liveliness apparently sought by a younger generation of clients? And is the price structure different at McMillen plus?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our mothers' aesthetic with our own vibe--great concept, love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not sure what the price structure is, but I do think there are many younger clients who might be more comfortable working with their contemporaries.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous3:00 PM

    Best story I've ever read in House Beautiful. MORE oral histories, Mr. Drucker. (I like them much better than the Q&A interviews. They're more candid, more spontaneous--less canned.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can't wait to check it out. Thanks for the info. Hope you are well.

    Gwen
    Ragland Hill Social

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't wait to see how this line takes off...great things to come. (I love Lilly's shoes too!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ann Pyne11:48 PM

    For an Aesthete's Lament.
    I seem to embody the aesthete's lament. How about we get together and talk about the poem and the room? Ann Pyne, McMillen. As to price structure, it's the same -- but the price tag isn't.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree. Everything about the room, and her shoes, is wonderful. I've only realised that I've left you off my blog faves, but recitified that now. Always enjoy reading you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the purple fabric on the armchair !!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jennifer,

    I was just thinking about McMillen when you posted this!

    Dean

    ReplyDelete