Monday, January 04, 2010

The Doors of Shangri-La




I've seen Shangri-La... and it's filled with upholstered doors.

Over the holidays, I was watching Frank Capra's 1937 film
Lost Horizon, a yarn about a hijacked plane that has been taken to Shangri-La. Despite its location in the rugged Himalayas, Shangri-La- or at least Capra's version of it- was an oasis of tranquility and peace set against a backdrop of thoroughly over the top 1930s set decoration. Tranquility? Peace? 1930s decor? Sounds like Shangri-La to me.

One of the most striking features of the film's set is the abundance of upholstered doors, something which seems to be on our minds lately thanks to designers like Miles Redd and Suzanne Rheinstein. While most examples we see today mimic classic, paneled doors, Shangri-La's were a bit more fanciful. It looks like there was nailhead trim around the perimeter of the door, but the rest of the design, a shapely mix of diamonds, octagons, and squares, appears to have been created with cording. And then there's that star/cross that was nailed to the top and bottom of the center diamond (you'll have to click on the images to see it clearly.)

I think that such an elaborate design might look best on large doors, much like those at Shangri-La. (Despite the fact that the citizens of Shangri-La practiced moderation in all things, everything seemed awfully big). But for those of us with average sized doors, why not take a few of these elements and incorporate them into your own upholstered door?









15 comments:

  1. I adore this look. But short of hiring Miles Redd ( which I sadly cannot afford ), how can I get a door quilted? We do have a large door to our bedroom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous! Hope you had a wonderful Christmas and New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the doors I've seen lately by Miles Redd, how interesting to see earlier examples. They are fabulous!

    Janell

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe their taking their moderation in moderation. I haven't seen this Capra film, though I saw two others over the holidays. Now on the list.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous10:25 AM

    Just contact your local upholsterer this is the trade that does this work. Whether or not they will know what to do or do it well is of course the big issue. At one time this type of work was very common, was done all over the country and did not require the skills of a high priced artisan. There should be "how to" info online or in books that you could use to teach an upholsterer if necessary. Its basically the same principal as making an upholstered folding screen.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, happy new year and I wish us lots more of you to come!


    I always wanted to uphoslter the big panel in my door but I cansee it's got to be the whole thing. These are
    really exciting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Design Citation- Anon's advice is absolutely correct. For some (okay, a few) it might be a DIY project, but for the rest of us, an upholsterer is the way to go.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great eye Jennifer. The geometric shapes created with the cording really bring an extra layer of depth to the room. This could be your signature door, like Elizabeth Arden with her red :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have been wanting to do baize-wrapped doors in my house since we purchased it! These are gorgeous! Definitely the work of a master. Thank you for sharing :)

    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOVE the doors! There is so much design inspiration in old movies. I can sit through hours of even bad movies just to study the interiors. Very cool post. Thanks, Jill

    ReplyDelete
  11. If Turner Classics ever stops broadcasting, I really don't know what I'm going to do with myself. I love watching those old movies :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you all for the advice - yes, an upholsterer would be the way to go. I'm unfortunately not a very good "DIY-er" - at least not this good!
    Thanks for the lovely post !

    ReplyDelete
  13. cemboyd12:05 PM

    Yes, thank you Turner Classic Movies. Great book I bought at the Met a few years ago about 30's & 40's Movie interiors. Focus is the use of interiors to character development, plot, etc. Great pictures, just wish the were in color. Here is a link http://www.amazon.com/Designing-Dreams-Modern-Architecture-Movies/dp/0940512262/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1262797030&sr=1-1

    ReplyDelete
  14. cemboyd- Funny that you mention that book b/c it's on my wishlist. I heard Albrecht speak at the Winterthur conference that I attended, and he's so very knowledgeable!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi! I have found you by chance!
    Great blog.
    I´ll be around!

    www.tatianadoria.blogpsot.com

    ReplyDelete