Thursday, May 19, 2016

The Goodrum House








If you live in Atlanta or have spent any time here, then you're likely familiar with the Goodrum House.  Fondly known as the "Peacock House" (or, at least, it was when I was a child), the 1929 house, located at the corner of West Paces Ferry and Habersham Road, was designed by architect Philip Shutze.  You might remember that I wrote about the house in 2008, when the house was on the market and uncertainty about the house's future ensued.  But, thankfully, the house was purchased by the Watson-Brown Foundation, which has embarked on a major restoration of the house and its gardens.

A few weeks ago, I found these black-and-white photos of the house and its gardens in some 1932 and 1933 issues of House & Garden.  The house was originally decorated by Porter and Porter, which was Atlanta's prominent decorating firm of the day.  Although the house looked more pulled together in 1932 than it did in the 2008 photos, below (taken when the house was on the market after having served as headquarters for the Southern Center for International Studies), you can see that what made the home's interiors so enchanting- the Chinese red Chippendale banister, the dining room's Chinoiserie mural that was painted by Allyn Cox, and the exquisite breakfast room that was painted by Athos Menaboni to resemble a bird cage- have remained intact.

I don't know how the gardens fared over the years, although, like the house, the gardens are currently being restored.  However, I'm really taken with the serpentine walls that appear in the 1933 photos, above.  But really strikes me (and will likely strike those of you who grew up or currently live in the area) is how uninhabited the neighborhood looked back in 1933.  Just look at the road beyond the garden walls; there are no other houses lining this section of the street.  Needless to say, the neighborhood has been heavily developed since that time.


As it appeared in 2008 photos:









16 comments:

  1. So beautiful! I love those arched doors!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WilliamtheHandy8:21 AM

    What a home! One of my favourite styles - like in Pride and Prejudice! And very spacious, too! I just wrote an article on my blog(http://bit.ly/1NA11Lg) on different living rooms but didn't include classic ones :( Maybe when I do bedrooms :) The curb appeal is also incredible - you just want to enter the home to see the interior.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:53 AM

    Hi Jennifer, great photos! I am a true, die-hard traditionalist, and this house is incredible! However; from the second half of your post, I am curious about how the Brumby Rocker's cane back and seat holds up in the extreme humidity of the south? I have family who live in Charleston, SC, and they have all wooden rockers on their front porch, but they have to clean them constantly with a bleach solution to rid them of mildew. I live in the dry, arid climate of Phoenix, so obviously we have no problem with mildew here (even though we have no wooden rockers on our porches, because most homes here don't have porches). I really enjoy your blog, and I think it is the best! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Atlanta is pretty humid during the summer, and we never had a mildew issue with our rockers. However, I know that Charleston can be even more humid than Atlanta. I'm sure that someone at Brumby could advise.

      Nice to meet a fellow die-hard traditionalist! :)

      Delete
    2. Anonymous6:43 PM

      Thank you Jennifer, I didn't realize Charleston would be more humid than Atlanta, but that does make sense now that you mention it. :)

      Delete
  4. Seems a book is in order on Schutz, if ones not already out. Perhaps your he one to do...I hope! Allyn Cox, created the fabulous frescoes and ceiling murals in the glorious Christopher Wren styled William Andrews Clark library here in Los Angeles...a respite from the ocean of humanity and chaos. He worked as well on the U.S. Capitol. As an aside, that serpentine brick wall is Art Deco...even the scrolled wrought iron gate to enter. Peacock House? Why?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elizabeth Dowling wrote a great book on Shutze; the title escapes me at the moment. And I forgot to explain the house's nickname. Whoops! The owner used to keep peacocks on the property, some of which would escape and hold up traffic on the street.

      Delete
    2. I just ordered the book and its arrival is one my great expectations...thanks to you, I've been guided to a book by a Master I've admired for years although I live in Pasadena. I place him near top in the League of Architects of The Golden Age in America!

      Delete
  5. What a lovely home and I enjoy your thoughtful posts. So sorry to read about all your troubles but glad you are back blogging..I am a big fan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Susan! Very kind of you. :)

      Delete
  6. love this! Love the entry with the red stair rail and that dining room!!!! the gardens with the walls - incredible! would love to see it renovated.

    ReplyDelete
  7. OH!! I LOVE LOVE LOVE! You do such a great job of showing classic.....and gorgeous houses! That decorating does not look dated! Joni wants to see it renovated.......I want to see it restored! I think we are on the same page....all three of us!

    Beautiful!! Thank you for a great "blast from the past!!"

    ReplyDelete
  8. The red stair rail is divine beyond! I will steal that one!! Just you watch!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Would you mind sharing what issue(s) of House and Garden these photos appeared in? I would like to search for copies online. Many thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The house photos appeared in the October 1932 issue of H&G, while the gardens were featured in the February 1933 issue.

      Good luck!

      Delete
  10. Many thanks! I am happy to report that Mrs. Abreu's (previously Goodrum) former cottage on Sea Island is in fine shape, although the interior has been decorated with a more "beachy"(yuck!) decor.

    ReplyDelete