Tuesday, September 04, 2012

Legendary Rooms for Americans Abroad




I'm most excited about the October issue of House Beautiful, especially considering that this particular issue profiles Americans living abroad, a departure from our usual stateside focus. One article of particular interest to me is "Legendary Rooms for Americans Abroad" which profiles some of the memorable international interiors that American authors, tastemakers, and designers called home-at least when they weren't at home in America. But, I'm a little partial to this article as I helped with a bit of the brainstorming.

The homes range from Ernest Hemingway's Cuban domicile to that of fabric designer Jim Thompson in Thailand. Accompanying the photos is commentary on each room provided by a slew of designers including Alexa Hampton, Suzanne Rheinstein, and Hutton Wilkinson. I'm only going to show a few photos so as not to spoil it for you, but do pick up a copy and enjoy these worldly interiors.



Jim Thompson's Living Room in Bangkok, Thailand




Pauline de Rothschild's library at Château Mouton Rothschild, Pauillac, France.





Van Day Truex's home in Gargas, France.

All images used with the express permission of House Beautiful.

3 comments:

  1. What a terrific idea, Jennifer. And what a refreshing change it will
    be, to have another look at fine houses of previous eras. They set
    any number of worthy examples, didn't they?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I hope that you enjoy the article. I know that you love interiors from the olden days as much as I do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great article and I liked all of your inclusions, especially Van Day Truex's home in France. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete