Thursday, January 13, 2011

A Fountain of Inspiration




Have you seen this week's Space of the Week on New York magazine's website? If not, you surely do not want to miss it. Wendy Goodman has made me very, very happy by posting photos of legendary magazine editor Mary Jane Pool's Manhattan apartment- one of my very favorite homes ever.

The apartment, you might remember, was featured in the March 2008 Domino along with photos of Pool's previous apartments. It's elegant, comfortable, and supremely stylish. This is the kind of home that I'm trying my hardest to create. I've borrowed a few images of Goodman's, but I really urge you to see the entire slideshow. My only complaint is that it's not three times as long.

And by the way, does anyone know where I can find tables similar to Pool's, as seen below? One or two would be perfect for my own Mary Jane Pool apartment in the making.

(For my own take on Pool's great style, click
here.)





(Images taken by Wendy Goodman for New York magazine.)

8 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:49 PM

    Hmm. Are they shagreen? If so OKA have lovely faux shagreen side tables.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember seeing the photos from awhile back but i've forgotten whose apartment they were! Yes, she has a lovely place. Thanks for reminding me.


    http://www.thefinishing-school.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for that introduction to the article. Her flat is wonderfully elegant and not too fussy or cluttered. I hope I'm as spritely at her age.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember a great spread about the previous apartment in HG, magical. The burnt orange lacquer, yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good design is timeless! What a great apartment. The leopard carpet is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think the table is covered in linen and glazed. Speciality pieces such as this were very popular in NYC in the 80s, usually custom made after Karl Mann. In addition to exotic coverings like shagreen (I have both a crocodile and a mosaic horn table by Mann), burlap and cheesecloth were used along with linen to give a textured finish for a painted glaze. These very useful, and I think still stylish, tables are sometimes seen in so-called second tier auctions in NYC and on 1stdibs. This size, with radius or waterfall ends, was sometimes called a brunching table and a smaller version, a telephone table.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with Devoted, the table is an open weave linen that has been glazed and lacquered. My guess is both the coffee table and the table holding the computer are Karl Springer pieces from the 70's.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mary Jane Poole Had such enormous style the last of the great editors for House and Garden with A REAL point of view . I was lucky enough to be in her New York apartment when she lived in the upper 60's . The Apartment was all you have said but the most fabulous room was her bedroom which I have never got over . Totally covered all walls and doors in a magnificent Chinoise scenic paper it was breathtaking . Lemeau http://decoratorsinsider .com

    ReplyDelete