Wednesday, October 12, 2016

Into the Wild with Schumacher


Schumacher recently invited me and two other bloggers to participate in a design challenge.  The task was to select our favorite animal-print fabrics from Schumacher's latest collection and then use that fabric somewhere in our homes.  Those of you who know me know that I love animal prints, so this Schumacher challenge was one I could not turn down.

First, I decided that the animal-print fabric would be used somewhere in my living room, where another prominent animal pattern already existed: my wool leopard-print carpet, which I selected almost a decade ago as a nod to Elsie de Wolfe.  Although the carpet reads as a neutral (at least, it does to me), I knew better than to introduce a bold spotted or striped fabric into the mix.  Instead, I settled on Schumacher's Nakuru, which is a subtly-spotted linen-velvet fabric, in the color Mineral, which works nicely with my living room's blue walls.

Then, I had to figure out what I was going to do with the fabric.  Upholster a stool in it?  Have it made into a pillow?  And then it dawned on me that Alfie, my Cavalier, had been such a good boy lately that he deserved to have his own little upholstered chair.  I searched high and low and finally found a vintage child's chair at a shop in Atlanta.  One speedy upholstery job later (thanks to my upholsterer, Gail of M2M, who is currently working on other jobs for a coterie of pampered pooches), and Alfie now has his very own Schumacher-appointed chair, which he swears is very comfy.

There are so many other great Schumacher animal patterns that have recently been introduced: Kalahari; Animaux; and Glamourpuss are other favorites of mine.  In fact, the range of patterns is such that even if you're not a fan of animal prints, you might find yourself warming up to them.  To see Schumacher's latest animal-print additions, please visit their website.  And if you would like to see what the other bloggers did with their Schumacher fabric, go to Instagram and search for #SchumacherChallenge #GoWildWithSchumacher #Schustagram






All photos by Jennifer Boles for The Peak of Chic

18 comments:

  1. Leopard works with everything!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great combo. Chair, fabric and Alfie. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alfie is looking so handsome. He loves his chair. xoxo Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will pass the compliment on to Alfie. I know he will appreciate it. :)

      Delete
  4. Lovely! Now, let's talk about the Tony Duquette fabric behind the sofa. Is that a screen? This is my absolute favorite fabric ever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary, Yes, it is a pair of screens upholstered with Duquetterie. The screens were in a showhouse room that Hutton Wilkinson did in Atlanta.

      Delete
    2. Ah, was going ask about these fabric myself! The chair and its inhabitant are both adorable, btw.

      Delete
  5. Anonymous11:04 AM

    Great choice Jennifer, and I love the fabric and color. I have a modified wingback chair in my living room that needs some updating, and this fabric just might do it!! Do you know if it is available to the public or just the trade? Thank you, LK

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LK, I really like this fabric and highly recommend it. I believe it is available to the trade, but keep in mind that many design centers can recommend designers who can purchase the fabric for you.

      Nakuru would look terrific on a wing chair.

      Delete
    2. Anonymous11:37 AM

      Thank you Jennifer, and little Alfie is adorable! LK

      Delete
  6. Alexis Purr12:02 PM

    Where did you get that leopard-print carpet from darling? It's fabulous. So unlike the usual tacky leopars print one usually finds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I'm very picky about leopard-print carpet, because as you said, there are some tacky ones out there. My living-room carpet is a Wilton-weave that I purchased at Myers Carpet in Atlanta. Sadly, I have no manufacturer name for it.

      Delete