Friday, June 24, 2016

Returning to My Roots



When I started my blog back in 2006, I wrote frequently about Dorothy Draper, who remains my all-time favorite decorator.  From the time I first saw her work, I was enthralled with Draper's sense of theatricality, which, still today, exhilarates me.  But after referencing her in those old blog posts every chance I could get, I reluctantly had to put Dorothy on the back-burner.  All of a sudden, it seemed that Dorothy and her work were everywhere, splashed all over the internet.  Although I didn't grow tired of her work, I felt that I needed to give it a rest.  When something you love becomes ubiquitous, it means it's time to focus your attention elsewhere.

But then, a few days ago, I flipped through my copy of The High Style of Dorothy Draper, the catalogue that accompanied the Museum of the City of New York exhibition on Draper, which I attended back in 2006.  Becoming reacquainted with those great, old black-and-white photos of The Carlyle, Hampshire House, and her apartment at The Carlyle especially, I was reminded of how much I love her work- and how much I miss writing about her.  There isn't a lot more to be said about Draper that hasn't already been said before.  And, likely, you've seen most, if not all, of the published photos of her work.  But now that the Dorothy Draper-mania of recent years has simmered down, it seems like now is a good time to cast my focus back to this legendary original.


 The Lobby of 117 East 72nd Street, 1929.



 Draper's apartment at The Carlyle, c. 1960.


 The Carlyle



 The Blumenthal apartment at Hampshire House, c. 1937.



 Entrance to the hospitality suite at Hampshire House, c. 1937.



 Terrace outside of The Camellia House Supper Club, The Drake Hotel, Chicago; c. 1941.


The Greenbrier, c. 1948.

All photos from The High Style of Dorothy Draper

17 comments:

  1. Her designs will never go out of style. Thank you for the lovely photos. And I finished your book a few months ago. You were totally on target about everything, and much of what is in the book is also in my house, I am pleased to say. It's an awfully good read, and I enjoyed it a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cynthia, Thank you for the kind words about my book. It's very much appreciated!

      Delete
  2. Theatrical? Maybe, but there is also a simplicity and grace which must have been as refreshing in the 30's as it was in the 60's. She kept 'formal' from being boring in her 1960 apartment; throwing what looks like a patterned quilt over the table.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marta, I agree that her work must have been very refreshing for the time. And it's still refreshing today, too.

      Delete
  3. She was completely herself. I see elements or hints of Dorothy everywhere; I think I love her counterpoints the most. Thanks. Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary, Great observation about her counterpoints. They really elevated her work to something special.

      Delete
  4. Dear Jennifer,
    Wow! Congratulations on ten years of successful design blogging! You know, Carleton Varney bought her business, and he continues to this day the DD legacy. When I was out on Boca Grande, I was in a house he was decorating, and he still uses the same Dorothy Draper letterhead! A bright coral red-pink ink on crisp white stock. The paint colors were all DD approved and custom mixed, and they were so beautiful, with their own special names. Years ago, (the 50's) DD decorated a wing of the Naples hospital- the Norris wing I believe it was. You know our old friend Stanley Barrows died there. Carleton loves to visit Naples, and he once showed a fabulous film showing DD speaking about her NY apartment, so ahead of her time with its black walls, white trim, and cabbage rose chintz! Her voice was like exactly one of those old movies from the 1930's, very much the society lady. And of course, we know that DD was related to Sister Parish through the Tuckerman's. Imagine, where once DD lived (Tuxedo Park) as a young debutante, now Michael Bruno is in the process of reviving. It's all so interesting, and I recently became acquainted with a very nice man called Charlie Baker, who was at the Greenbrier and now is in charge of housekeeping at The Gasparilla Inn on Boca Grande. A fascinating subject for sure, and one can certainly see why CV has written over 30 books on decorating! Plus, he is still writing Your Family Decorator for the Palm Beach Daily News. Wow! Thanks for another great POC post!
    Dean Farris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dean, I love DD and love Carleton, too. He has done a great job at preserving her legacy.

      Delete
  5. Even though her rooms were so stylish and theatrical, they always looked like you could find a comfortable seat. A very important consideration...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am in totally agreement with regard to Dorothy Draper. I stumpled upon her work when I was 11 years old and have been obsessed with her work ever since. She is an amazing voice in interior design that still resignates today. My only wish is that there were more color pictures of her work. Ms. Draper was an artist with pattern and color. She never hesitated to up the volume depending on the space. I would love to see an interview with her. Are there any out there?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathie, I feel certain there must be old print interviews somewhere. The MCNY exhibition featured a television interview that Edward R. Murrow did with Draper, which was filmed in Draper's living room. One of those Person to Person interviews. I wonder if it might be on YouTube?

      Delete
    2. I am on the hunt. I found a reference tot he interview but not the actual interview. If I locate it I will forward a link.Keep me posted if you find it first.

      Delete
  7. Congratulations and Happy Anniversary! Looking at these wonderful interiors makes a welcome tonic after such shocking news here in England. So many things in each room could easily be used today. I will raise my next glass of champers to the Peak of Chic. Here's to at least ten more years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pamela, Thank you for the well wishes, and thank you, too, for your always interesting and kind comments!

      Delete
  8. Hello Jennifer, I understand that Dorothy Draper spent her past years in Cleveland. Do you know whether any photos or description exist of her home there, which must have been among her last designs?
    --Jim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jim, Not that I'm aware of. However, I wonder if Carleton Varney has photos in the DD archive. Surely he must?

      Delete