Tuesday, December 01, 2015

A Traditional Christmas


Today is December 1, which means that the holiday season has begun. (It also means that I get to open the first gift in my beauty advent calendar, but I digress.) I spent my Thanksgiving holiday decorating my apartment with garlands, wreaths, red ribbon, and my blanc-de-chine crèche. So, with Christmas on the brain, I find these photos, which appeared in a recent issue of The English Home, to be especially inspiring.

The Edwardian-era, North London home you see here belongs to Helen Cormack, textile maven and founder of Tissus d'Hélène, and her historian husband, Andrew.  The home is a traditionalist's dream, filled with antique furniture, Toiles de Jouy, and old pictures and engravings.  Add to this some holiday greenery, colorfully-wrapped gifts, and an elegantly-set table, and the result is a setting stylishly steeped in the holiday spirit.








All photos from The English Home, Jody Stewart photographer.

11 comments:

  1. It's perfect! Homey, yet upscale. Has character, colour, and good design. A welcome break from all the greiged out, blanched, stripped down design one sees so much of these days. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alexis Purr9:59 AM

    That bedroom is perfect =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:44 AM

    "That bedroom is perfect =)"

    Agree. Very much like what Nancy Lancaster did when she moved out of Haseley into the coach house.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pearlchateau2:44 AM

    I agree with the comments above about your post. But will you tell us about your beauty advent calendar? I am sure I want one, too...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I received this calendar as a gift last year, and loved it...so much so that I bought another one for this year. Here's the link: http://www.qvc.com/QVC-Beauty-Christmas-Advent-Calendar-24pc-Collection.product.A270500.html?sc=A270500-SRCH&cm_sp=VIEWPOSITION-_-1-_-A270500&catentryImage=http://images.qvc.com/is/image/a/00/a270500.001?$uslarge$

      Delete
  5. So lovely Jennifer and I adore the yellow settee!!

    xoxo
    Karena
    The Arts by Karena
    Books for the Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pearlchateau7:59 AM

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love all the toile de jouy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I so love the traditional Christmas colors but you've integrated these new colors perfectly. Love the blues and yellows in there. The rooms are so vibrant, very much ready to celebrate.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous11:39 AM

    Thanks Jennifer. It's been too long since I visited your blog--it always refreshes! Sadly though, this post left me lamenting why, oh why, did Colefax and Fowler STOP making the Berkeley Sprig wallpaper pictured in the bedroom above?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, why did they retire Berkeley Sprig? Heaven help us if Bowood is ever discontinued.

      Delete