Monday, July 29, 2013

Tiptoe Through the Tulips



Through the years, the classic Paule Marrot fabric, Les Tulipes, has made appearances in quite a few well-appointed residences. Take, for example, the home seen above. Located in Bermuda, the house was decorated in the mid-1940s by Ruby Ross Wood, who chose the orange colorway of Les Tulipes for the living room's sofas and slipper chairs.





Wood's protege, Billy Baldwin, was also a fan of Les Tulipes, having used it on at least two occasions.

  



And then there was Stephen Mallory of Mallory-Tillis, who, like Wood and Baldwin before him, favored Les Tulipes, although this time the fabric was used to vibrant effect in a bedroom. (That vivid orange-red background must have been like a jolt of caffeine when viewed upon waking.)




In the 1970s, Toronto designer Robert Dirstein selected the fabric for his cozy, jewel-box library. Les Tulipes looks less floral-y when surrounded by dark painted walls, chrome, and smoked glass, don't you think?






Paule Marrot's tulips also figured prominently in the living room of this Otto Zenke-designed home in County Clare, Ireland, although here they were joined by irises and daffodils.  This Marrot print is known as Guermantes, which is still available today through Brunschwig & Fils.






In fact, Guermantes' most recent appearance was in a home decorated by Miles Redd and David Kaihoi, which appears in the current issue of Architectural Digest.  This house was located in the Bahamas rather than Bermuda, but the effect was much like it was in the Ruby Ross Wood-decorated house.  Cheery, upbeat, and fresh as a, well, daisy.  (Bjorn Wallander, photographer.)

15 comments:

  1. Sent his post to a friend and now he and his wife want me to find out where to buy "Les Tulipes" fabric for their bedroom. Arrrggghhh.....!

    Anyone know a source? I searched the net, getting much info. but no actual source from whom to buy the fabric.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I researched sources before I posted, and I didn't come up with anything. If you visit the Paule Marrot website, you will see that the only fabric source that they provide is Brunschwig. As far as I can tell, though, Brunschwig does not have Les Tulipes in its current lineup.

      I wonder if it might be worthwhile to contact someone at Paule Marrot via their website?

      Delete
    2. I did that and if I get a response, I will let you know. seems other favrics in the line have been made available; odd that the most compelling has yet to come out - maybe its expensive to make, the dyes or something...

      Delete
    3. Scalamandré is now carry Paule Marrot's prints.

      Delete
  2. Lots of bright colors. Not sure the decor is for me but some pretty stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous2:14 PM

    Wonderful post. Any documentation of Wood's work is precious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dennis Rolland designed a Dorothy Draper-inspired bedroom for the 2006 Hampton Showhouse featuring a Neo-Baroque white bed upholstered in Marrot's Guermantes in pink.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely to see a Toronto designer here PGT!! xc

    ReplyDelete
  6. maven8:52 AM

    I'm pretty sure that "Guermantes" in yellow is what my late aunt used on her sofa in her large living room in Tulsa, OK. (With a creamy butter yellow carpet!) She loved color and it seemed perfect for her in that place.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous10:21 AM

    Just a heads up.....the Guermantes pattern from Brunschiwg & Fils has been discontinued (for at least a few years). The only colorway with remaining stock is "PINK". I had a request to find this pattern as a result of your post and thought I should pass this info along!! Sorry!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paule Marrot ed Paris fabrics by yards are avalaible on demand. You can contact us by email at sebastien@editionspaulemarrot.com or by Phone at (336) 847 2630.
      Looking forward to hearing from you.

      Delete
  8. What a gorgeous floral print in Bjorn Wallander's Architectural Digest photo! Bermuda or Bahamas, doesn't matter, I would love to see the beautiful view outside those French doors!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was pleased to find this post today. The Bermuda home decorated by Ruby Ross Wood belonged to my grandparents. This home was also featured in Mark Hampton's book "Legendary Decorators of the Twentieth Century". I would love to know where you found these photos... I know the home was published, but I've never been able to find out which magazine it was featured in. Please share if you happen to remember.

    For those interested in knowing where Paule Marrot's fabrics can be obtained, Scalamandré is now carrying the line.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Douglas, I can't remember in which magazine the house was featured. I suspect it was House & Garden. I will go back through my archives to see if I can find it. I'll let you know.

      It looks like it was a fabulous house, by the way.

      Delete
  10. Anonymous12:12 PM

    Scalamadre also carries two colorways in fabric of Paule Marrot's tulip design: Guermantes http://www.scalamandre.com/pattern-page-des.html?pattern=16547

    ReplyDelete