Wednesday, June 12, 2013

A Bedtime Story



The June issue of British House & Garden is a good one, but what especially caught my attention was the article about the Wiltshire house of Diane and John Nutting.  Not only is the house bright and airy, but it is filled with beautiful porcelains, antique furniture, and chintzes, all of which are arranged in a tidy fashion.  But the real show-stopper of the house, to me anyway, has to be that beautiful bed, seen above.  I'm not sure which part of the bed I like the most: the carved, gilded tester, or the bed curtains made from a now-discontinued Colefax & Fowler chintz.  The bedroom's seating area, also above, is quite fetching, too.

If you think you've seen this bed before, you probably have. It, along with most of the other furnishings ensconced in the Nuttings' home, once stood proudly in the couple's former house, the regal, early 18th c. Chicheley Hall. I found photos of the Chicheley Hall bedroom in Chester Jones's Colefax and Fowler: The Best in English Interior Decoration. According to this book, the late Tom Parr of Colefax & Fowler was responsible for Chicheley's redecoration, including the fabric chosen for the bed (which, according to the book, is Colefax & Fowler's "Charlotte" chintz.)  You can see this book's photos of the Nuttings' former bedroom below, including the fireplace seating area which was more or less recreated in the new home. You'll also notice that the Colefax & Fowler carpet that was chosen for the Chicheley Hall bedroom was also selected for the Nuttings' current bedroom.

And funny enough, the bed also made an appearance in one of my favorite books, The English Dog at Home by Felicity Wigan. Mrs. Nutting was photographed on her lovely bed alongside Scotties Matthew and Mollie.  (Little dogs seem to have a nose for fine bed linen.  I know that Alfie does.) 

You can see photos of Chicheley Hall below.  And if you have not already done so, I do urge you to take a look at the June issue of H&G to see the Nuttings' current house in all its lovely splendor.










Photos at top: British House & Garden, June 2013; Simon Brown photographer.

11 comments:

  1. Interesting that the cresting of the bed had to be adapted to fit the lower ceiling height of the new room. It is an effective compromise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jennifer,
    I love these pictures, especially of the Scotties, since my husband and I have one. Thank you! Of course blue and white is another one of our favorites as far as design is concerned.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous. AT first glance I thought it was Mario Buatta's famous blue chintz bedroom. Those scotties are pretty cute.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree as well. Just lovely, light and airy. To me, for some reason, the photographs do not seem recent. Like they could be 20 or so years old. I now want to see the rest of the house!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A favorite mag + a beautiful bed + wonderful doggies, what could be better? I ask you. xxpeggybrawelldesign.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Jennifer-


    The bed is divine. The fabric is so elegant--and it is fresh yet timeless.
    I love the use of gilding in each version...I am sure the winters in that part of the country are drab and dreary. This bright flash and shimmer of gold would bring such delight and 'sunshine' into the early morning scene at daybreak.
    Beautiful post, one of my favorites. best DIANE

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous4:39 PM

    Jennifer,
    What a stunning bedroom! I am going to do my Master bedroom in blue and white too—thanks for the inspiration.
    xo, Lissy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jennifer,

    Having spent a year in Bath, Avon I can tell you I spent a few nights in a similar bed...at the home of Lord Fry in the Royal Crescent. How divine to wake up in such a beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful! Blue and white combo looks so beautiful....

    ReplyDelete
  10. Blue is my favourite colour and I too love to decorate my house in this theme.

    ReplyDelete