Tuesday, June 05, 2012

The Hamptons and Hickory Chair




In my speech on "Timeless Interiors" that I presented a few weeks ago, I mentioned two designers whose work I believe will stand the test of time. Those two designers are Mario Buatta and Mark Hampton, two of the best decorators this business has ever seen. I have already written much about the two in the past and will continue to do so in the future.

But not until the day before I gave my lecture did I realize how appropriate it was to include Mark Hampton in a speech presented in Hickory, North Carolina. As you probably know, Mark Hampton created a wonderful line of furniture in collaboration with
Hickory Chair. In fact, it was my friend Will Merrill who, while working at Hickory Chair as Design Director, was responsible for bringing Mark Hampton to the venerable furniture maker back in the 1980s. I was fortunate enough to have been given a fantastic tour of Hickory Chair while up in North Carolina, and while I certainly appreciated their furniture before the tour, I have even greater respect for it now. How impressive to learn that almost all of the furniture is still made in America! While on my Hickory Chair tour, I saw how furniture designed by the likes of Thomas O'Brien, Mariette Himes Gomez, Suzanne Kasler, Mark Hampton, and Alexa Hampton are made. While Mark Hampton's line has been edited down to a smaller number of items, Alexa's line is filled with all kinds of wonderful chairs, tables, and casegood pieces.

So, in the spirit of timeless interiors, the Hamptons, and Hickory, North Carolina's own Hickory Chair, I thought I would highlight a few pieces from the Hamptons' collections and also show a few of them in situ. While I had a heck of a time trying to find Mark Hampton designed interiors where his Hickory Chair line was used, I was able to find some great photos of Alexa's work where Hickory Chair furniture does make appearances, including a photo of a room in which she used a writing table that was part of her father's collection.

Mark Hampton Collection:




Regency Bamboo Writing Table, part of Mark Hampton's collection for Hickory Chair. According to Will, the table was part of the very first collection that Hampton did for Hickory Chair. Alexa used the table in one of her projects, seen above.



Faux Bamboo Bench, which I have always loved.



Tufted Victorian Pouff. Only Mark Hampton could make Victorian look good.



Alexa Hampton's Collection:



Ash Cocktail Table





Nadine Chairside Table






Chris Set of Four Trays



And I couldn't find an interior photo where the Susannah Side Table was used, but I'm showing it anyway because I absolutely love this piece:

Susannah Side Table


Alexa Hampton interior photos from Alexa Hampton: The Language of Interior Design.

8 comments:

  1. Its the details of our lives I think that in some respects make the impact. Its only once in a while the big picture matters. I loves these photos of the details.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both Hamptons are classic decorators in the best sense. Alexa's sense of humor shines through to give that added pop. Thanks for the great post. Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alexa is wonderful to keep her dad's vision alive + both Hampton's designs are terrific! love this post. xxpeggybraswelldesign.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous12:30 PM

    Love the Nadine Chairside Table!

    ReplyDelete
  5. laexa 's energy and enthusiasm combined with her pedigree in Design has helped our Artisans concentrate on exceptional details making each piece we craft truly special. hank you for visiiting our Hickory workroom with Will who made numerous contributions to our creative effforts over his tenure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loved seeing the furniture of both Hampton's. Your mention of Mario Buatta makes me wonder why there has not been a book on him, or maybe I have missed it?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love all of the designs, both Mark and Alexa. Thank you for showing us this great post!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mary and Ron Martell3:00 PM

    We purchased two Mark Hampton Chairs expertly and beautifully manufactured by Hickory Chair. We are remodeling and would love to purchase two more of these comfy and styled (without an expiration date) chairs for a conversation grouping. Unfortunately, this chair has been discontinued. The style number was 6342-51 Pallazzo.

    ReplyDelete