Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Say What?





It dawned on me over the holidays that I'm partial to stationery, cocktail napkins, and other "stuff" that have quotations or phrases emblazoned on them. It might be a gentle reminder to "Don't Forget", or perhaps something cheeky like "We Don't Care How You Do It Up North!" (The latter was printed on paper cocktail napkins that I once had.) I've always admired the needlepoint pillows with witty sayings on them that Mario Buatta seems to be able to find. (Where, oh where, do you find these, Mario?) And then there is the needlepoint pillow that a disgruntled girlfriend once gave to famed Hollywood producer Robert Evans that read "He knows where you've been sleeping." That took guts, no?

I decided to take a quick tour around my home and snap some photos of the notepads, napkins, and matchbooks which feature quotes. And no, no "He knows where you've been sleeping" pillows around here.





My friend Louise seems to be a fan of quotations too. She owns monkey notecards printed with this quote by Edna Woolman Chase- " Fashion can be bought. Style one must possess." Chase certainly had a point. Louise was kind enough to give me one which I display on my bookshelves.




Another gift from Louise were these matchbooks with the immortal words of Cicero (the quotation had to be shortened because of the size of the matchbook)- "A room without books is a body without soul." Truer words were never spoken.








Didn't we all go crazy for Charlotte Moss' fabulous notepads and cocktail napkins that celebrated the spirited words of Diana Vreeland, Tony Duquette, and other style icons? I would argue that it takes a cup of strong coffee to get out of bed in the mornings, but what do I know. Why argue with Diana?


And for the grand finale:





Yes, an actual piece of paper from Albert Hadley's famous "Don't Forget" notepads. To me, this is the equivalent of owning a vial of Elvis' sweat. It was stuck in a copy of "Decoration" that was once part of the Parish-Hadley library. I found it late one night around midnight, and I was positively dying to call somebody, anybody. How many people, though, want to receive a call in the middle of the night saying "Oh my Lord, I just found some of that Albert Hadley "Don't Forget" notepaper!"

All photos taken by Jennifer Boles, copyright The Peak of Chic.

31 comments:

  1. Quotations like these can be the spice of life. Thanks so much for sharing these with us.

    Mr. Goodwill Hunting

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jennifer, it was so great meeting the brains behind the blog yesterday at the DOCTA Winter Market. I felt totally like a groupie seeing the panelists in person. When I got home I thought of so many other questions I wanted to ask....

    Anyway, it was just the BEST!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now this...this is truly a find!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You could certainly call me in the middle of the night! I would totally share your excitement!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love, Love, Love the "monkey embellished" cards from your friend Louise. Any possibility those are still available for purchase, somewhere, anywhere?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can't you believe you found a piece of 'history' in the book! thats so cool!
    So great finally meeting you yesterday :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. The DON'T FORGET note pads really say a lot about the Albert Hadley and Sister Parish aesthetic. Although the stationary for correspondence to clients was as fancy as one might expect, inter-office paper products were very utilitarian, also as one would expect, if one knew the owners. But I always loved the command of the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fun post! Years ago I came across an inscribed copy of Hedda Hopper's memoirs in a junk shop, and was thrilled to find five or more Christmas cards from her inside it, sent to the one time owner of the book. Needless to say I plopped down the $3 dollar asking price, no questions asked! I'm not quite sure what happened to the cards, though. I just may have to try and find them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous10:01 AM

    ....and sometimes it's the little things that matter...love the one about style can't be bought..
    thanks,
    maureen

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this post (all yours, actually)! I'm an Interior Designer and my husband is a Graphic Designer. This kind of stuff thrills me!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I LOVE THIS POST. Being a minimalist, I had never thought of notes or sayings in quite this way; I'm going to go on a hunt for some great cards--have some printed?

    ReplyDelete
  12. What fun ! laughing out loud I agree stsionery is addictive thankyou fay x

    ReplyDelete
  13. FANTASTIC! (I meant to yell!!!)

    We all need to scurry to the printers and get busy! How do we think Charlotte did it? She scurried to the printers! And you can go to any needlepoint store and have mottos drawn on......(or, for heaven's sake do it yourself.....it is only printing! And, you can also hire someone to needlepoint them! People need work!) Anyone can needlepoint!

    My personal favorite was given to his clients after a magnificent job of decorating their houses by the inimitable decorator Keith Irvine.....a needlepoint pillow :
    " WHAT A DUMP!!!"

    How cool is that?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love all these. the Charlotte Moss things were wonderful. The Chase quote with the armed monkey is the best-it should be marketed. So sorry to miss you yesterday. I hope to be in Atlanta after the thaw.Gaye

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous3:44 PM

    These are so delightful!

    Hope we get to meet someday.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Being a word girl, I like seeing them everywhere. To the list of your greats, I nominate John Saladino's petit point pillow: Inner Peace Through Possessions.clery

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ooh dear - left you a message this morning that didn't go through! Well - just wanted to tell you much I loved all your "stuff" - so fun!! And could totally relate to your urge to make a late night call - can't tell you how many times that has happened to me!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Jennifer, love this post! My very stylish grandmother just passed away and as we were going through her Florida house we found a stack of "We don't care how you do it up north" cocktail napkins. I loved them, but seeing that I am from PA, it seemed silly. I would be happy to send them to you, if you would like them. Just let let me know.

    Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great and inspiring quotes!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Anonymous8:15 AM

    This was one of your best posts! I really love the part about Mr. Hadley's note paper being like owning Evil's sweat! Please keep your good posts coming!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh, I love this post and your story about Albert Hadley's note paper. What a find. I'm inspired to have my own cocktail napkins printed, but finding just the right quote will take some serious time....

    ReplyDelete
  22. Sara L3:52 PM

    I would get a thin unlacquered brass frame for that note sheet. It's a small work of art, especially without anything written below the warning.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Sara- That's a great idea, and one that I'm going to do! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Anonymous2:48 PM

    Inner child- I do not know if they still sell them, but they were made by Saturn press in Maine

    ReplyDelete
  25. My favorite quote is from Hutton Wilkenson: "Every night I go to bed I pray--people with money will get taste, and people with taste will get money!!" Love that Hutton. I love your blog,and hope you will come and visit us soon. I hated to miss the Fl event, I showed up a day late.
    Best,
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  26. Anonymous8:05 PM

    Wonderful blog!

    My first time to leave a comment . . . I am SO jealous of the don't forget note paper! What a find!!!

    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  27. Jennifer- Thanks for commenting!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Diana Vreeland is one of the wittiest people ever. Where have all the witty people gone?

    ReplyDelete
  29. Scary. We ARE kindred spirits, but aren't we all kindred spirits on your blog. In your above post, I have the sliver scalloped dish - or very very similar - it's the one with the matchbox that says a "room without books is a body without soul" - so true. I don't have the matchbook, but I do have the dish. My dish has a small round basalt and terra cotta Wedgewood box with egyptian relief, inspired from the American exhibit of King Tut. I love Wedgewood's basalt with terra cotta relief - hard to find or very expensive, so happy to have one. I bought the box here in San Francisco from De Vera, when he shill had a shop here in San Francisco, he abandoned us for NY, I'm sure you know of his shop - so amazing. I also have the cocktail napkin - "You've got to have style it helps you get out of bed in the morning" - Diana Vreeland. I bought those at Charolotte Moss's Townhouse. Oh how I miss the Townshouse, such an amazing tove of everything wonderful - I know you miss it too :) I wish I could post you pictures of my things, you'd get a kick out of how similar we are. Sorry my comments are so long. Thanks for your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Keith- I bought a few things from the SF branch of de Vera! Feel free to email me photos at jennifer@thepeakofchic.com

    ReplyDelete
  31. Some of these designs are so funny, I'd love them up on my wall!

    ReplyDelete