Friday, September 20, 2013

Decoration Redux


A few of you have asked me to show more photos from Decoration: Tradition et Renouveau. I'm certainly happy to oblige because thus far, I haven't grown weary of looking through this book. I just hope that you don't grow weary of my frequent blogging about it.

Today's pictures are great examples of that early 1970s style of decor that is most closely identified with David Hicks. It was slick, daring, and cutting-edge...well, at least for that time. Actually, much of the furnishings in these rooms still look pretty good today.

Enjoy!

Image at top: Paris apartment decorated by French designer Jean Dive



The entry hall in Paris home designed by Dive. The doors remind me of the painted elevator doors on Bergdorf's 7th Floor.




Another dramatic looking entrance hall in Paris, this one decorated by Anita Bachmann.




A London home decorated by David Mlinaric.




A Milan apartment designed by Aldo Jacober.

11 comments:

  1. Is it my imagination, or does some of the 70's decor, handsome as it is, seem "claustrophobic"? Seems the designers often negated light and air in their efforts to create a distinct environment. Perhaps it is the all-encompassing pattern, or use of dark lacquers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! I think the Mlinaric room might have been his own. Still works today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Quatorze, it's interesting to see how designers use light in spaces, and these look awfully dark. Although, not depressing. But it's also terribly interesting how much of these elements would work in a modern space. Those lucite folding chairs - perfection! The black/white entry hall with turtle shells as artwork? Gorgeous! If a "modern" filter was used for the photography, I'd believe these were in the latest issue of Lonny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous2:51 PM

      Individual taste is so interesting. I think the folding chairs nearly wreck the room.

      Delete
  4. Regarding the dark colors, I think that the late 1960s/early 1970s was an era in which many designers and homeowners tried to be modern and edgy, hence the use of once daring colors like black or dark brown. Also, these rooms seem to be decorated for predominately nighttime use. Again, maybe this reflected the mood of the era?

    Decorating at that time was maximalist to the core!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I ,for one, am not tired of looking at this wonderful book + more photos, please. xxpeggybraswelldesign.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with Peggy, more images! That first one seems especially current and totally classic. And, as well we know, the 1970's have been back in fashion for quite a while now, the love of sheen and satins can be traced back to the 1920's and thirties a la Cecil Beaton and Syrie Maugham...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, more of these stunning timeless spaces.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with Peggy and Dean. Please post more photos from this book. I have volumes one and two from the series and have been looking for this one. Now that I know the complete title and that it is $450. at the cheapest on amazon, it may not become part of my collection. thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheaper on Amazon France

      http://www.amazon.fr//gp/offer-listing/B005JPAZ1U/sr=/qid=/?condition=used&tag=bf-dt-home-2-21

      Delete
  9. The doors with the gold accent are beautiful! I would love to have something like that in my home.

    http://etsy.com/shop/shopepdallas

    ReplyDelete