Thursday, January 08, 2009

Chic Shape, Unfortunate Name




I've recently made an addition to my ever growing wishlist of furniture and objets that I want to own. The latest object of my attention is a kidney shaped table. Perhaps this fascination with kidney shaped furniture goes back to the days when I spent hours and hours swimming in my family's kidney shaped pool. (Hey, I know these pools are no longer the height of chicdom, but many years ago they were considered rather novel.)

Now, I must say that I cringe a little bit at the use of the word "kidney". I do get a little squeamish if I start to think about organs, which might explain why I nixed majoring in Biology in favor of History- far less blood and guts, although studying wars can be a little gruesome. But I digress.

Decades ago, women fantasized about primping and preening at their very own kidney-shaped vanities. These confections were swathed in satin or matelassé, were sometimes bedecked with ribbons or bows, and usually were topped by a piece of glass or mirror. How could one not feel glamorous sitting at these gems while making one's toilet (the old term for freshening up and sometimes putting on one's face). I think it's time for these vanities to make a comeback.

I'm also pining for a kidney-shaped desk or little side table. It would be so elegant to have one of these as a social command post if you will. You could take care of your social correspondence, talk on the phone, or take care of some kind of gracious business. Sure beats sitting in bed with your laptop on your lap!


I'm completely smitten with this Jansen kidney shaped table. Not only is it the right shape, the black laquer finish and gold trim speaks to my Hollywood side. (Available from Flessas Design.)


A bit frilly for my tastes, this table would still make a very feminine vanity. (Available through Heather & Co.)


This 19th c. Russian writing table is really quite elegant, and I like the tooled leather inset. Forget paying bills at this stately table; I'm thinking more along the lines of love letters... (Available through George Subkoff Antiques.)


This type of kidney shaped end table is probably the most ubiquitous of all. Not that that's a bad thing, but when you think of kidney shaped tables, don't you think of these? (Available Ad Lib Antiques)


Modernists like kidneys too. This Mastercraft table would look right at home in my home, surrounded by a few traditional pieces. (Through Assemblage.)


Kidneys look good on the cuff too. OK, so technically it's a bean and not a kidney. Maybe a kidney bean? Elsa Peretti's black jade cufflinks are smashing! (Get these while you can in case Tiffany's chooses to discontinue these too.)

Image at top: A vintage diagram of the kidneys, available through Voila!

24 comments:

  1. Very original Jennifer!

    Since the 80s are back, it will be interesting to see if the skirted vanity tables gain in popularity. I really like the Russian table you found and the Jansen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always opted to think of the bean rather than the organ...the Russian desk is a knock-out, and great example of a masculine piece of kidney-shaped furniture of which there are far fewer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a kidney-shaped desk that I inherited and I can remember as a child mother calling it "kidney shaped" and I would think to myself "ewww...that's an icky name"...Now I have that KS desk and I love it!

    Great Post....love all your chic photos!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I'm going to start thinking of the kidney bean too. Thanks Athenaeus.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're right, that's a great shape for a table! I've never considered it before, but now I'm definitely seeing possibilities...
    Beautiful examples! Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had a kidney shaped pool growing up too- actually it was pretty awful, but we thought it ever so smart! xv

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amica- I think it's a nice alternative to blocky and hard lined furniture.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Vicki- Maybe they'll come back in vogue soon? Then again, maybe not!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loved this post, one of your cleverest.
    Just the thing to chase away the midwinter blahs.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this shape , the jansen's table is my favorite

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wouldn't have guessed it before but there is something about the Mastercraft table I really like.
    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Annie- I actually really love that Mastercraft table too. I think it would look great in both contemporary and more traditional environments.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The Jansen is so hot...can a desk be hot?!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Jill- Yes, they most certainly can be! That Jansen piece is what got me going on the whole subject. It's so glam!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Is this replacing your secretary obsession?

    ReplyDelete
  16. In correct French cabinetmaking parlance, the term would be "flageolet" (bean), such as the "canapé flageolet" (bean-shaped settee) that Parke-Bernet offered in the Thelma Chrysler Foy sale in 1959.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This post knocked my socks off - too clever! I think kidney shaped pools are so retro that the time has come for them to be chic again.

    I'm wondering if kidney shaped items should come in pairs? :)

    becky

    ReplyDelete
  18. Becky- Now that's clever! Re: kidney shaped pools, they should definitely be back in, in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'd totally have a kidney "flageolet" shaped vanity with skirting if I had room. Totally glam!

    ReplyDelete
  20. The only possible way I would use the Mastercraft table is if I painted the legs. I'd go for red or orange or perhaps a sassy green. Or I'd just do a faux brushed nickel. Sorry but I have an aversion to that gold brassy look!

    ReplyDelete
  21. In French literature, the kidneys were supposedly where passion resided -- it's similar to the way we use "heart" in English. I think there was supposed to be something inherently sexy about this kidney shape, not unlike a heart-shaped bed (only less tacky).

    ReplyDelete
  22. Lisa- Boy, you're a wealth of information! That's great. And yes, far less tacky than the heart-shaped bed!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love Elsa Paretti's work with Tiffany's. I have the large silver bean, and a few other silver pieces.

    I agree...very original post :) I'll be back :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. "Social command post..." wish I'd written that!

    Very good idea for a post. I gave Mrs.E. the bean necklace and earring when we first starting dating. For my birthday, not long after, she gave me the silver cufflinks. Very versatile. Like that wonderful Russian Writing Table.

    ReplyDelete