Monday, October 13, 2008

Heavenly Schlumberger





Is there anyone who designed such magnificent jewelry and objets as Jean Schlumberger? Oh yes, I'd gladly accept a Schlumberger bauble from anyone who's feeling generous. But what about these little trinkets? How fabulous would that cigarette box look casually tossed on a side table? And wouldn't those candle holders look terrific on a mantel? Many of the pieces below are now part of the collection of the Virginia Museum of Fine Art, donated by Mrs. Paul Mellon, a major client of Schlumberger. I have yet to find anyone who designs comparable pieces, but if you do please let me know. In the meantime, I'll just have sweet dreams thinking about these lovelies.


Crystal obelisk with red lacquer, 1973.


Crystal coupe with red lacquer, 1973.


Pair of candle holders, c. 1968. Formerly owned by Mrs. Paul Mellon.



Blackamoors, 1961. Black lacquer, sapphires, and rubies.


Gold cigarete box, c. 1962.

Images at top:
Brooches and Pendulette, 1966. Repousse gold, coral, and various gemstones.

Flower pot (gold, amethysts, emeralds), 1960.

17 comments:

  1. That cigarette box is divine - so glamorous and reminiscent of another lifetime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. While I love Schlumberger, I think I love Verdura more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous5:06 AM

    Thank you very much for sharing.
    Through your blog, a lot of people including me of course have a chance to read and learn

    from.
    I have read some of your post and I really enjoyed reading it.
    Thanks again and looking forward for more of your posting soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That last cigarette box is exquisite!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Vicki- I don't smoke, but I'd gladly accept the box as a gift!

    ReplyDelete
  6. HOBAC- Yes, Fulco was quite amazing too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Courtney- I wonder if it could also be used as a minaudiere. Wouldn't that be pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Phenomenal. That cigarette box makes my pulse race. And the sea urchin in the top picture and the clock! Amazing. The flower pot and the clock together remind me of the flower pot clock that Charlotte Moss had on her mantel and also had for sale in her shop. I fell in love with it at first glance.

    Thank you for sharing these lovely treasures with us. The detail in Schlumberger's work is exquisite.

    Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love them all....trinkets or not!
    The Blackamoors are sowonderfully detailed and I love the mermaid candleholders......yes, indeed, I would not turn down any of these!

    I always am so educated by your blog! THANKS!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous12:21 PM

    Apparently Schlumberger deplored the use of gems for their dollar value, their size, carat or weight, and used them strictly on the basis of their individual design value - remember the "Meduse"? Moonstones as iridescent jellyfish backs, tentacles with facets of amethysts suggestive of jellyfish propulsiom....Crazy stuff, but WOW, he took it to a stratospheric level that is pure signature.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anything or everything!

    ReplyDelete
  12. the cigarette case it gorgeous... and if i lived in a time where people didn't know better, I'd love to own that. Now you could use it as a light make up/lipstick case!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Glad to know I'm not alone in my admiration of these pieces ;)
    I'll take one of everything!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! So interesting! Thanks for sharing these great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Simply cannot pick my favorite - or choose between Schlumberger and Verdura. Fortunately, my budget allows for neither, so I don't have to decide.

    ReplyDelete
  16. If the ship comes in I would love one of those beautiful Schlumberger bracelets that Jackie Kennedy wore all the time

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anonymous2:46 AM

    Where did you find the beautiful color photographs?

    ReplyDelete