Monday, April 07, 2008

Blue and White and Wow All Over




With the upcoming release of Carolyne Roehm's new book A Passion for Blue and White, there is sure to be a lot of talk about this classic color combination. It's one of the easiest color schemes with which to work, and you never have to worry about it not looking chic. Of course, Roehm is not alone in her love of blue and white. Here are a few designers and fashionable persons who make these two colors look so great that you too might develop a passion for blue and white.





I love this vibrant dining room designed by British decorator John McCall. He based the blue and white color scheme on the Delft tile in the fireplace and the owner's collection of blue and white porcelain. (British House & Garden; photographer Bob Smith)


Updated yet classic American style in this bedroom designed by Sara Gilbane. The punchy print is a youthful take on timeless blue and white.


Who wouldn't want to be invited to a dinner served at this table? Dining room of the always stylish Oscar de la Renta, photographed in 1971. (Image courtesy of Vogue Living, Spring/Summer 2008; photographer Horst)


Isn't this over the top? And totally fabulous too? The Capri home of Valentino, photographed in 1971. (1971 must have been a fun year in design!)

25 comments:

  1. Speaking of 1971-- what about the blue and white living room at La Fiorentina by Billy Baldwin?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Morris- You're right! I forgot about that. 1971 was a VERY good year :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE the Porthault linens on the de la Renta table! So many great examples here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Courtney- I think that whole tablesetting is so pretty, but those linens are my favorite :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fabulous post! This is one of my most favourite colour schemes in decorating!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Claudia- Thank you. I'm a fan of blue and white too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can't wait to see that book! Blue & white is so classic.

    -Lana

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous3:41 PM

    Beautiful! What an inspiration the Peak of Chic is to me. Another great book on blue and white decor is Blue and White Living by Stephanie Hoppen-I believe it may be out of print but still available through book resellers. I love the Porthault tiger print linens-does anyone know if these are still available or a similar blue and white tiger print by someone else? Your blog is a daily pleasure!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beth- Thank you! I know that the tiger print is still available in brown. I don't know about the blue, but perhaps they could special order it?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Okay, the Valentino house in Capri is too perfect. That white stool is a bit glaring, but the rest of that room is absolutely fabulous. Though all that pattern does hurt my eyes a little bit after a while!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aesthete- Glad you like it too. I suppose that you have to look at the solid blue rug to give your eyes a rest.

    ReplyDelete
  12. omg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
    The bedroom by Sarah G. is stunning. That looks like Suzani by Carlton V - is it? Where is that picture from, I've never seen it and I want it, it's gorgeous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Can't wait for this one -!!!
    Joni

    ReplyDelete
  13. Joni- It's from Sara's website. I don't know who makes the fabric, but I think it's gorgeous too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous8:02 PM

    agree with Beth about Hoppen's Blue & White Living. And I've got to preorder this book. It's bound to be good.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Halcyon- I'm hoping that it's good too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. The theme of blue and white will last forever and I guess we should thank the Chinese. In the next few days I'll post pictures from my place of employment, sorry for being so vague, of our blue and white color schemes, which I must say look beautiful.If you recognize the store, I'll bold your link on my blog! We ARE Blue and White. Cheers to a great topic.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm just crazy about that Sara Gilbane bedroom!!

    ~Kate

    ReplyDelete
  18. Anonymous8:22 AM

    The room done by sara gilbane is so chic- look how the rooms of the past and sara's all feel so similar. The fabric she used is oxus- carlton v.
    -alexis

    ReplyDelete
  19. Gorgeous photos! -- in all the shades of blue -- and all the variations of white, cream and ivory! Such a wonderful posting -- truly classic!

    Jan at Rosemary Cottage

    ReplyDelete
  20. My favourite - blue and white!
    X
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great post Jennifer! Blue and white has long been a favorite of mine. I will be looking for hthat book! Thanks!
    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great find - loving the blue and white theme.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks Diana! Glad you it.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I've been back to this post at least 3 times this week I love it so much! Blue and white is the ultimate. Gorgeous photos and another great book recommendation - merci!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Emily- So glad you got some inspiration from it!

    ReplyDelete