Thursday, June 14, 2007

Patriotic Decorating



Small spaces can be tricky to decorate, so keeping a cohesive color scheme is a must- too many disparate colors can look choppy. Designer T. Keller Donovan was faced with a challenge when he decorated his three room apartment, but in order to keep some continuity between the rooms, he chose a very tight color palette- red, white, and blue. If this all seems quite patriotic, it is- Donovan was born on the Fourth of July.

Everything in the living room is red and white. All of the major furniture, especially the upholstered pieces, are red. Even the accessories- the picture frames, fire screen, bowls, and vases- are red too. The kitchen with its soothing blue and white color scheme is a nice counterpoint to the snappy living room. Again, the kitchen accessories such as the Spode china are all blue and white. I'm quite taken with the blue and white African print fabric on the kitchen chairs- it looks rather Alan Campbell-ish, but if anyone knows what it is, please let me know.

Finally, the bedroom is blue and white, but in reverse from the kitchen. Calm white dominates here. And don't you love the books behind the bed? They definitely add a lot of visual interest to what would otherwise be a rather boring wall!





15 comments:

  1. This is very chic. It take a lot to make me love a white wall, but the red does the trick. As for the book cases behind the bed - I love it! and so handy. I rarely like pictures on bookcases, but it looks great - and just right, here. Could the fabric be Donghia?

    ReplyDelete
  2. KC- I completely agree- I'm usually not a white wall person, but the red adds a lot of oomph! Donghia- I hadn't thought of that. You could be right! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous1:42 PM

    I really love these rooms. The red is great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that dark blue kitchen -- in fact I think I have an old tear sheet of another view, from Elle Decor -- but I forgot it was his. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Style Court- I love that kitchen too! I felt like I had seen it somewhere before, so maybe that it is!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the paintings on the bookcases... i had that in my old office.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I have seen this before too. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE the kitchen in particular and I LOVE the fabric on the dining chairs!
    XO
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't know what to do with big spaces

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anrosh- Just as small spaces can be tricky, big spaces can be too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous6:43 AM

    What a great kitchen. The blue transforms the kitchen into a more living area feel as opposed to a utilitarian feel. Helped along by the great wall colors and accessories. Functionally, it has issues(!) but, hey, it looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Susan- All good points!

    ReplyDelete
  13. often in small, city apartments, with minimal wallspace this look of framed art on bookshelves has taken a place. i, for one love, it. it's reminiscent of some lovely homes i've been in nyc and sf.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Honestly, I think every project Mr. Donovan accepts and/or has published, looks exactly the same.
    While you could say it is a cohesive element or thread in his repetoire, I tend to find it a bit boring and predictable. Although the inspiration or essence of Van Day Truex is quite notable.

    ReplyDelete