Wednesday, March 23, 2011

What's In Their Library: Adam Lewis Part II




And today, Part II:



Architecture: The Natural and the Manmade by Vincent Scully.





The Decoration of Houses by Edith Wharton and Ogden Codman.




The Finest Rooms in France by the Editors of Maison & Jardin.




Jean-Michel Frank by Adolphe Chanaux (both the 1980 and 1997 editions) and Jean-Michel Frank: The Strange and Subtle Luxury of the Parisian Haute-Monde in the Art Deco Period by Pierre-Emmanuel Martin-Vivier.




Pierre Chareau by Marc Vellay and Kenneth Frampton.




Decoration, Vols 1, 2, 3, and 4 by Connaissance des Arts.




The Conde Nast series that includes:
The House and Garden Book of Romantic Rooms by Robert Harling, Leonie Highton, John Bridges.
The House and Garden Book of Classic Rooms by Robert Harling, Leonie Highton, John Bridges.
The House & Garden Book of Living-Rooms by Robert Harling, Leonie Highton, John Bridges.
The House & Garden Book of Bedrooms and Bathrooms by Leonie Highton.




The Country Life series published in the mid-1950s:
English Country Houses: Early Georgian 1715-1760 by Christopher Hussey.
English Country Houses: Mid Georgian 1760-1800 by Christopher Hussey.
English Country Houses: Late Georgian, 1800-1840 by Christopher Hussey.




The Country Life "From the Archives" series that includes:

Scottish Houses and Gardens by Ian Gow.
Irish Houses and Gardens by Sean O'Reilly.
England's Lost Houses by Giles Worsley.
The Chateaux of France by Marcus Binney.
The English Country House by Michael Hall.



Italian Splendor: Great Castles, Palaces, and Villas by Roberto Schezen.
Spanish Splendor: Great Palaces, Castles, and Country Homes by Roberto Schezen.
Splendor of France: Great Chateaux, Mansions and Country Houses by Roberto Schezen.




Palaces of Rome
by Roberto Schezen, Caroline Vincenti Montanaro, and Fabio Benzi.
Palaces of Sicily by Angheli Zalapi.
Palaces of Florence by Patrizia Fabbri.
Palaces of Naples by Donatella Mazzoleni.



Venetian Palaces by Alvise Zorzi.




Andrea Palladio: The Architect in His Time by Bruce Boucher.




The Great Houses of England and Wales by Hugh Montgomery-Massingberd.




Great Houses of Scotland by Hugh Montgomery-Massingberd.




Great Houses of Ireland by Hugh Montgomery-Massingbred.

13 comments:

  1. I love this. I often gravitate to the library of friends homes (or when on a private tour), its so interesting to see what treasures they have. Its almost a window into their sole. Very telling about their little know interests, main stream obsessions and or secret desires!

    More of "What's In Their Library" please!!! Thanks for posting...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is particularly interesting to see the selections from a writer of interior designers biographies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fascinating! Have always wanting to read "The Decoration of Houses" but the great homes of Ireland and Scotland, and anything on Georgian architecture is also fascinating to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post! I am so interested to learn of fine books to add to my design library. A few here I have ordered, a few more I wish I could order but too tres tres cher in price. I will see if my local library can do an inter library exchange. Would really like to read the one on the Venitian Palaces.

    I thank you for a past post where I learned of other earlier published books I did not know about. All treasures.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kathleen Luckard12:13 PM

    My book lust is in overdrive! (Is that word still used?)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, Jennifer--
    I thought you would be interested to know that in his previous life, Adam Lewis was an Episcopal priest at Christ Church in Wilmington, Delaware. He served the congregation of this distinguished church for many years before embarking on his career in the design field.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd love to read the book on Venetian Palaces. We were in Venice last September and I took so many photos of the palace featured on the cover of this book. It was one of my favourites. The detail work on all the buildings in Venice is so spectacular.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Afternoon! Many thanks for the recommendation of "English Elegance" by Judy Brittain and Patrick Kinmonth -- it just arrived! What a treasure! Wonderful photos and stories!

    Cheers! Jan st Rosemary Cottage

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a superb book list. I have The Decoration of Houses within arms reach.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Jennifer, I am loving your blog. I am do a series on the history of interior design, and have found your blog a great place for information. I am working on Hollywood Regency right now and as the 30's were the glory days I like you love that period. I am going to add you to my blog roll and link to your site.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It isn't quite enough to see that list of lovely books from Adam Lewis's shelves. The best part of this series is when designers and authors share more than mere titles, and offer insights into the reasons behind those
    inspirations.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful peak into a fabulous library!
    I will be adding several of those to mine!
    Thanks for a wonderful post!
    Jamie Herzlinger

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's gratifying to know that I have many of the same books as the amazing Adam Lewis!

    ReplyDelete