Thursday, March 26, 2009

For All You Bobby Short Fans in the House




I was doing a little research in the March 1970 issue of House Beautiful and found a fun article on entertaining chez Bobby Short. (Very apropos as yesterday's post was about entertaining.) That man had style for days and made everything look effortless. So for lunch for friends, Short served Texas Chili, Corn Meal Muffins, Salsify with Mayonnaise Mousseline, and Boysenberry Sherbet with Crème de Cassis. How easy is that? Chili, or any stew for that matter, is a perfect entertaining dish. All you have to do is make it ahead of time and let it simmer on the stove. In fact, this entire menu could be prepared ahead of time.

My favorite part of the article is Short's quote likening cooking to making music:

When you make a stew, you finish it to taste with a few grinds of the peppermill, maybe a dash more salt, thyme, too, and you know-you just know- when the flavor is right. Making music is much the same thing. You start with a little bass, add a soupçon of treble, throw in a bit of the drum, 'growl out' the lyrics, and suddenly it's okay. You're in there swinging.

I love the shot of Short tasting the chili with his ladle. Unfortunately, the images are all in black and white so you can't really get a good idea as to just how chic his apartment was. I'm including a few images of his apartment as it appeared in the Christie's auction catalogue.





16 comments:

  1. His apartment c 1970 was situated in a building that was attached to Carnegie Hall. Pity the photos don't show more of it, as the living room was double height with a balcony giving on to bedroom and bath, making it 3 levels in all! Not shown in the photo but very much present in 1970, were a pair of armchairs with animal
    tusks for arms and legs, interesting but not especially comfortable and, heaven knows, politically incorrect by today's standards!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm loving the zebra framed with what appears on my monitor to be an apple green mat.

    Love the menu too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Toby. I was looking at the reflection in the mirror, and it appeared that the ceiling was quite high. I wish there had been more photos (esp. color ones), but I suppose the focus of the article was the chili!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Courtney- It is a subtle apple green in the catalogue, so you're correct. I think those prints look terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for a lovely post and peek at one of my favorite musicians! I realize that I'd never before seen his apartment so this is wonderful, if brief.

    As for entertaining, one of my best parties was a soup supper; I made 3 kinds of soup and guests brought bread, salad and cookies. I find that everyone wants to help and bring something.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ms. Wis- He certainly did have style, didn't he! Love the idea of your soup party. Guests do want to bring something, and bread or cookies is a quick and easy thing to pick up on the way to the party!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fabulous post. Who doesn't love Bobby Short, the pure essence of style and savoir faire? Kudos to you for carrying on his legacy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Toby is amazing! he never ceases to surprise me by his wealth of knowledge.

    Loved this, as usual!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awww.......I love that first picture of him tasting the soup. I had the huge pleasure of seeing him perform once at the Carlyle - a lifetime memory for me. What a treat to see a little inside his world. Thanks you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. My favorite image is the one of his bookshelves. The books look as though these are favorites of his. It looks as though some of the objects may have been picked up on his travels. I love the personal quality of his apartment.

    ReplyDelete
  11. love this. I am a fan. thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Not to take anything away from him in terms of talent,
    taste, or erudition, but it must be admitted that he could be terribly disparaging about the decorating profession. In fact was dismissive of it, despite all those fans of his who happened to be in that business. Another one of life's little ironies.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Toby- That is interesting, esp. as he had so many fans in this field. An irony yes.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love bobby short. what a great post. Loving his kaftan too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You just made my day! I always wanted to know more about Bobby Short other than he sang at the Carlyle Hotel. Thank you for this post. I'm going back to savor this post.

    ReplyDelete