I'm sure many of you remember James Andrew's fabulous apartment that was featured a few years back in Elle Decor. First, there were the references to iconic designers of twentieth century design (the Billy Baldwin dog painting, Frances Elkins loop chairs, and a footstool of Elsie de Wolfe). And then there was that library!! James has quite an impressive collection of books. So how could I not ask James what his favorite designs books are?
After an early career in finance, James decided to pursue his first love- interior design. Working first for Ralph Lauren Home and later for Parish-Hadley (Albert Hadley has been both mentor and friend to James), he decided to strike out on his own in 2000. And ever since then, James has been decorating from coast to coast and continent to continent. Recently, James was described by Stella magazine as being an "updated David Hicks". I'd say that is quite a compliment, don't you?
(James just informed me that he has started a new blog entitled What is James Wearing - a site where James shares his enthusiasm for all things sartorial as well as his thoughts on design. I think you will find that James has an extensive wardrobe and takes great delight in choosing his outfits!)
1) Parish-Hadley: Sixty Years of American Design by Christopher Petkanas
2) Albert Hadley: The Story of America's Preeminent Interior Designer by Adam Lewis
3) Dupré Lafon- décorateur des millionaires by Thierry Couvrat Desvergnes
4) David Hicks on Home Decoration by who else? David Hicks.
) Frances Elkins: Interior Design by Stephen Salny
6) In the Pink: Dorothy Draper- America's Most Fabulous Decorator by Carlton Varney.
7) Horst Interiors by Barbara Plumb
8) Nancy Lancaster: English Country House Style by Martin Wood
9) Chateau de Groussay auction catalogue- Sotheby's (if you can find this for volume catalogue, I'd suggest you grab it!)